07Aug2013
“The Chase” Debuts Strong for GSN Thumbnail

“The Chase” Debuts Strong for GSN

GSN’s newest quiz showThe Chase and its star, Mark “The Beast” Labbett, came, saw, and conquered during their debut Tuesday. The first episode premiered to 511,000 viewers. It retained 97% of its lead-in audience. Throughout the evening a total of over one million viewers tuned in to see The Beast take on some of America’s smartest quizzers for a chance at hundreds of thousands of dollars. If you saw the second episode, at 10:00PM ET, you saw three BuzzerBlog readers win $180,000, the biggest cash prize GSN has ever given away in a game show, and we could not be happier to see it.

Beyond its total audience,The Chase was a major winner in key demographics. Year to date it was up 59% in total viewers, 58% in P18-49, 75% in W18-49, 109% in P25-54, and 98% in W25-54. Great results all around.

Minute to Win It also had a great night, scoring a total viewership of 596,000. It hit season highs in total viewers and W25-54. Over 1.5 million people watched GSN’s lineup of new originals last night. They have to be pretty happy with those results. Congratulations to them. They put out two very engaging, fun originals and the results show.

29 responses to "“The Chase” Debuts Strong for GSN"

• Corey says:

So are these good numbers? Is GSN happy with this?

• Andrew L. says:

There’s no reason why they wouldn’t be happy with the results. Congratulations to GSN for finally producing something with the quality of some of the Game Show Network-era originals.

Agreed. Have to give GSN a round of applause for this. It took a long time, but we’ve finally got another good original game show on the Game Show Network.

• Ken in Hong Kong says:

Not to rain on GSN’s parade, but it seems what we’ve learned is that “The Chase USA” pulled in 511,000 homes — or roughly one-sixth of what the UK show pulls in at tea time.

And “A Minute to Win It” fared better, with 596,000.

I don’t quite understand, though, why Alex is adding these numbers together to come up with 1.5 million. It’s not as if — for example — anyone who watched the first hour of “The Chase USA” can’t watch the second hour, and a whole new audience was brought in.

Am I missing something? Or do we have to conclude what we already knew: that although quiz-show fans in the US are a rabid bunch, there are just more of them in the UK — a country with roughly one-fifth the population?

Sincere congratulations to Bob Boden and Co. for a job well done. But I can’t help thinking what the numbers might have been if Fox had given the show a chance.

• Artemis says:

I believe that the 1.5M figure comes from 500K multiplied by the average household size of 3 people.

• Richard says:

Well, ITV is a major broadcast network in the UK, while GSN is a mid-level cable network here in the States…

• GameShowDude says:

Ken – Comments by insiders are easy to spot :)

• Josh says:

Keep in mind that ITV (formerly ITV1) is one of the five main terrestrial channels in the UK, and it is home to some of the biggest shows on British television, namely The X Factor, I’m A Celebrity…Get Me Out Of Here!, and Britain’s Got Talent. Thus, you’d expect to see higher ratings there.

Now, if The Chase UK were on a network like, say, Dave, Challenge, or even ITV2 for that matter, network ratings would be similar, if not slightly smaller than they are stateside.

• David Howell says:

Promisingly young skew relative to the time slot average, at least. And for a show which was only a presold concept to the hardcore quiz fans, retaining most of the audience of a show that was on network TV really not that long ago is not to be sniffed at.

• aaaa says:

The most given away at one time sure, but a few solo players on RUssian ROulette, and one on Bingo America, won a little over $100K. The cable record for a game show still is Robin Grover who won $250K in the HIstory IQ TofC in June 2001, no?

• Devon says:

Minute to Win It was a great lead-in to the Chase. Tuesday night is indeed strong. I’m very relieved and pleased at these results. I sure hope this momentum continues. Very good GSN!

• JEFF S says:

It’s hard and a little silly to compare a daily show, which the Chase is in Great Britain on a regular network to a prime time show on a cable only network. To that end, the ratings were excellent vur rhw

• JEFF S says:

It’s hard and a little silly to compare a daily show, which the Chase is in Great Britain on a regular network to a prime time show on a cable only network. To that end, the ratings were excellent but of course the big question will be their staying power. If the show evolves to the point it has in Britain where the chaser wins 80% of the time, it might turn off some Americans who above all seem to want a winnder in every contest.

We’ll just have to see.

• Ken in Hong Kong says:

Did anyone think the pace dragged with only three players? Would having four be better, as in the UK? I’m sure a few good one-liners might be left on the cutting-room floor, but if the game keeps moving, all the better, right? And one thing I think does need to be changed, on the basis of the one final chase clip I saw, is that Brooke needn’t create fake suspense when the team gets a question that Mark misses. Just say right or wrong and move along. The time saved could be better used at the very end, when Mark should get a chance to make a comment before the goodbye — as the chasers in the UK do.

• Ken points out something that bothered me about the show-needless suspense the way DOND and 1V100 did.

• JEFF S says:

Somebody suggested, take this for whatever it may be worth, that GSN went with 3 players because of the large payouts and might be afraid if all 4 make it through, it could break the budget!

Also during the head to head chase, just show the answer (“you said…”) and then give the contestant a quick chance to explain it and then just show Mark’s answer instead of throwing it to him to give the answer.

Again the game play is exactly the same as the British version, nobody disputes that. I just think it’s not quite as entertaining for the reasons I indicated before including the use of players instead of 4 (another person to get to know).

• Ken in Hong Kong says:

I’m thrilled — and a bit surprised — that GSN ordered a second series before the first one even aired. That’s either confidence by GSN execs after seeing some of the first eight shows OR some slick negotiating by Bob Boden, et al, beforehand.

If you wanted to push GSN a little … Come on, guys … Add a second or even a third show each week, get some American chasers (Brad Rutter? Ken Jennings? Nancy Christy?) AND even bring in Anne “the Governess” Hegerty. Now, that could be fun!

• JEFF S says:

On you tube, I think it was 18 January 2013, there is an episode of the UK version where the first 3 players were eliminated (you have been caught and for you the chase is over) but the fourth player who really had very little to lose went for it and beat the chaser head to head and then beat the chaser as a solo in the final chase and took home the 60,000. I think that was the biggest pay off on the show (60,000 at currnt exchange rates is around $96,000 US).

• K.C. says:

Actually, the record for a GSN show came from an original that was very easily forgettable. American Dream Derby in 2004 gave away $250,000 to one person.

• Dale says:

Now that I have been able to watch the show here is my thoughts on it. It is executed fairly well. The only complaints I have is the sound effects and music do nit really match well with the show. My biggest gripe is that there is no lock in sound and no buzzer sounds. The only thing else that was a bit annoying was the “coming up next” bits essentially spoiling the show. But overall it was pretty good viewing.

• Alohadave says:

This is a fun show. I’ve never seen the UK version. The second episode was very exciting to see the three contestants beat the expert. However, the first episode made it quite clear to me that this is one of those shows INTENTIONALLY designed for the contestants to all lose. Much like The Million Dollar Money Drop. After reading the comments above now I see that my first assumption was correct. That’s a shame.

I hate to dwell on the negative, because it is indeed a fun show to watch. But the delayed fake-drama answer reveals, the pre-commercial tease spoilers, and the corny scripted zingers from “the beast”, the contestants, and the host disqualify this show as a “believable” game show in my opinion.

If actual drama does not exist in the studio as the show is being taped, the producers should NOT attempt to force drama into the final product that makes it to air. It doesn’t play well on TV, and you’re not fooling anyone. It’s 2013. It’s a technology world. Viewers are smart. Please don’t insult us with bad fake editing and scripted “jokes”. Those devices have no legitimate place on a game show, unless it’s a comedy game show. This show is not a comedy game show.

I always use Wheel, Price, and Jeopardy as my standard. Can you imagine if any of those shows employed those tacky production tactics? They would have all been off the air decades ago. The comments indicate that the UK version mostly avoids those desperate measures. Why do US game show producers think those things help a game show? Personally, for me, those production devices destroy a game show. Game shows should not be manipulated in post-editing. They should be live-to-tape, or as close to live-to-tape as technically possible.

• JEFF S says:

May I suggest to you that you watch an episode of the UK show. Ooodles of them on you tube or if you do a google search you will find links to some. Try to get a show where Mark is the chaser (there are 4 of them). I put my own feelings on a different thread and sorry for the repeat. They felt they had to “Americanize” the show. The game is identical so if that’s all that is important, that’s fine. But to me, at least, the UK show is much more entertaining with a whole bunch of whistles they chose to leave out of the American version and substitute their own.

For example, since the UK show is a daily and they do 300 episodes or so a year or just about, they get a great cross population of every day joes in the street. I like the fact the person in the #3 slot is usually a student to help if he or she gets through with the trivia questions such a person might bring to the table. The chaser doesn’t sit in his (or her) seat the whole time; there is a dramatic entrance after each contestant’s cash builder. The chaser sits down and says, “Good afternoon… so and so, makes a comment and then they get down to business. The graphics are much cleaner and clearer. The host is outstanding and tries to give the impression he’s on the side of the contestant. (“Come on, we need this.” or (“Well played, mate”). Most importantly, since cash builder answers are only worth 1,000, the middle starting point is usually around 4,000 or so and then the low offer can be really low (or even a negative amount) but the big money comes in with the high bid (“if you care to take one step closer to the chaser, he (or she) will offer you whatever”). To me, at least, it’s much more entertaining. I often when watching some of the wpisodes on you tube fast forward only to those parts and watch the head to head where there’s is a lot of clever question writing. I think culturally speaking, in the USA, we thnk the big big payouts are what bring in the viewers. But you can get a big payout on the UK version too (one of the episodes has the #4 player winning 60,000).

I’m doing this simply as a reply or perhaps looking for some back up. Is it a good show (the US version) on its own. I guess so and maybe I’m being unfair comparing the host on the USA show doing her first two shows to the British host who has been doing it for four years or so, 300 episodes a year or thereabouts.

I would be very curious as to your view point after watching the UK version. BTW according to Wikipedia, on the British show, the chasers win 75 to 80 per cent of the time which makes those times the contestants win entertaining.

• JEFF S says:

In watching the re-run last night, it does seem GSN has gotten the message regarding the spoilers or am I just imagining that?

• BillCullen1 says:

I enjoyed the show and will watch regularly. I think GSN has a hit show here.

• Matt says:

I would love to see the all-time Jeopardy champions Brad Rutter and Ken Jennings take on”The Beast”. That way we’ll konw who really is the smartest. Cand Brad and Ken beat ” The Beast” or will “The Beast” take down Brad and Ken?