17Aug2013
NBC Launches “Million Second Quiz” App Thumbnail

NBC Launches “Million Second Quiz” App

UPDATE: NBC has now launched The Million Second Quiz online game.  If you don’t have an iOS device you can now qualify to be a Line Jumper and get onto the show by playing the online version.  Click here to check it out.

Your chance to enter the hourglass in New York City and play for up to $10,000,000 on NBC’s The Million Second Quiz is coming soon.  You can go to casting sessions to get in early.  Another way, though, is playing the app against strangers, friends and family to score high and show why you deserve to play.  NBC has officially launched that app.

The free iOS game pits you against someone else in a ten question bout.  Questions increase in point value as the game goes on.  The highest total will sit in the virtual Money Chair.  On the show, the Chair is worth $10 a second potentially.  Here, though, hold onto it for as long as you can and score the highest total possible.  If you’re the one of the best, you may be sent to New York City to compete for one of the biggest prizes in television history.  Click here to download the app.

NBC has also drastically overhauled The Million Second Quiz‘s website and given it a much cleaner look, giving you an idea of what’s to come for the show.  Click here to check that out.

What do you think of all this so far?  Better yet, how did you do on the app?  Be sure to play against us.  We’re @buzzerblog.

72 responses to "NBC Launches “Million Second Quiz” App"

• Brian Duddy says:

iOS only? Really?

• Ed Toutant says:

It looks like fun, but I hope there will be a way for non-Apple people to play. Any word on plans for an Android or web based app? I’m really looking forward to the show!

• Cory Anotado says:

iOS user here. Currently kicking ass at this game.

• Curtis says:

Waiting on the Android version… although I’m hoping my audition went well enough that I’ll be playing in the hourglass soon. :)

• Clive of Legend says:

Questions are rather easy, but destroying people who must have never left their house or turned on their TV to be able to get some of these wrong is amusing. I felt like I reached Line Jumper status a bit too quick, though.

• Poochy.EXE says:

I played a couple games, and I think the question distribution is roughly:

30% mind-numbingly easy general knowledge

20% also really easy pop culture

10% moderate-difficulty general knowledge (the only well-written questions in the game)

15% moderate-difficulty but poorly-written and trashy “know-it-or-don’t” pop culture

25% “how the frak would anybody know this?!” pop culture

Examples of the latter include “Harrison Ford is older than his wife by how many years?” and questions about surveys like “According to (source), which of these cities has the worst traffic?” I wish I was making these up.

If this is indicative of the writing quality on the actual show, count me out.

• Wayne says:

The web version finally exists, wish I could say it worked. I was able to play a few games, then had to go away from my computer.

When I came back, I couldn’t log back in for a while, then it wouldn’t find me an opponent to play.

I didn’t have any of those weird type of questions. I played three games and won them all, only got two questions wrong.

• Whirl says:

I’ve got the same problem – I’ve qualified for the show, but all day long I’ve been trying to play and it will not find an opponent.

• Poochy.EXE says:

I gave the app another chance today while stuck in traffic on a bus, only to find yet another problem: Sometimes I’ll lock in only to have my answer disappear at the “checking answers” screen. I think this is a lag issue since it only seems to happen when I’m using the cellular data network as opposed to Wi-Fi. But it’s cost me quite a few questions and at least one win.

• David C says:

Honestly, the Harrison Ford question isn’t that hard if you know pop culture… the question actually said it was Calista Flockhart as well (Ally McBeal)… the question put 10 years between the choices, if it was like 2 years between them, that would have been hard…. you just didn’t know how old the two people were.

• Oliver says:

Agreed.

Similar thoughts about “According to USA Today, which US city has the worst traffic?” question. It made the news at the time, plus LA’s traffic is legendary. I’m not American and got it right.

I can’t think of any genuinely unfair questions, although they skew a bit pop culturey. They are similar sorts of questions to The Million Pound Drop.

• Zach says:

They advertised that you could play on your computer, so where is that website found? I guess that is how us android users will have to play?

• Wayne says:

game.millionsecondquiz.com

but don’t try too hard to play, the site isn’t working. I got in and was able to play a few games, went away from the computer, came back, and haven’t been able to get back in since.

I can log in, but with great difficulty, then it just keeps searching for an opponent and does nothing else. It also took away the points I earned.

• Bill says:

No android? How release for the largest operating system the ios coming later? Iphones are way outdated now….

• Chris says:

Does anyone know how many line jumper spots they are giving away? Is there any advantage or reason other than for fun to play past the 3500 point level? I have been playing for the last couple days and am up to over 20,000 points and am just wondering if it might help getting a spot or if it’s just a random selection and it doesn’t matter how many points you get.

• Wayne says:

I think it’s unlimited, but really, depending on how many people are there and the time of day you go, it may not really have much advantage over those like me who can’t play.

• Chris says:

What do you mean by ‘time of day you go’? It’s not a requirement to already be in New York to get a line jumper spot. from my understanding they call you in advance and invite you out to the show. You don’t already have to be in line.

• Wayne says:

I thought the line jumper spots were for at the auditions in the various cities they are currently doing.

Are they for in NYC when they are doing the show?

• Chris says:

The line jumper spots are for a special part of the actual show (I am not sure how many times they will do it) where a person will get to jump the line and go straight to compete for a spot in the money chair. Everyone else will have to wait in line.

• Julia says:

Yawn…Just another multiple choice quiz. Boring.

• Big Gep says:

Took me less than an hour to qualify.

• WmBermudez says:

78% after 6 games. Meh.

• Oliver says:

This is crazy addictive.

I’m pleasantly surprised as I was less than impressed when I first heard the concept.

• Chris says:

I think I have reached the end of the games capability. After I reached around 25,000 points all the questions were the same ones I have already seen. I will check back tomorrow to see if they add more.

• cp says:

Apple first? I would hate to be the moron that made that call. Have they not heard of sencha or god know’s how many other multi-mobile IDE’s and platforms that wouldve enabled them to release android and Apple at the same time. How embarrassing.

• kw says:

Oh joy- yet another app for ‘Apple only’, with the ubiquitous tag line ‘we’ll get around to the rest of you android users sometime before the next Ice Age’. If NBC doesn’t want my money (via advertising) no problem….signed: the show hasn’t aired and you’ve lost me already.

• Wayne says:

It could be they had an easier time getting the Apple App Store to allow the app than they did the android version in Google Play.

I was at the audition in Philadelphia today, they said the Android version is coming this week.

• David C says:

Reading the website: http://www.nbc.com/million-second-quiz/#/about_msq

“For each second a player remains in the chair, he or she will earn $10. The longer a contestant stays in the chair, the more money is made until he or she is defeated by a challenger. During the million seconds, the top four players who have accumulated the largest amounts of money up to that point in the game will live next to the hourglass in Winners’ Row and try to survive there until the million seconds are up. Other contestants will displace them if they achieve longer runs in the Money Chair. When the countdown clock hits zero, the four contestants who have made it to the end, plus the final occupier of the Money Chair, cash in their winnings and battle it out for the grand prize!”

So, does everyone who is in the chair get $10/second, or only the people in the “Winners Row” and the final person? If it is everyone, then, seems like they’d be giving away more than $10 million, since just the people in the chair for 1 million seconds will win $10 million all together, unless those final 5 are going to possibly have the chance of losing some of their winnings to the others.

Also, while some contestants might be really giving it a shot to stay on the show 24 hours or longer, most of the crew (including Ryan S) I assume will not be staying up 24 hours a day for 11 days…. are there some “alternate” hosts that are going to do the “non primetime hours” of gameplay?

Also, are they showing the entire show 24 hours a day online? I assume the nightly show is just “highlights” from the day, plus some live day with whomever is in the hourglass at that point.

• David C says:

I have to say, other than one battle, which was really close, and my wife came in and distracted me… I haven’t had very many “hard” battles…. right now I am 14/15 and 81% accuracy.

• Mike says:

9 line jumpers will be randomly selected and whisked off to NYC. Just came back from the Philly tryout, I’m onto round 2 :)

• Katie says:

Too many glitches! I tried to play a total of 6 games and was only able to complete one due to the page not loading! Loss of interest due to issues with website!

• Kimberly says:

Waiting sorry as technically advanced as we are was not well thought out for all phones why?

• Wayne says:

I didn’t notice this part until today, but the final has the five players “cash in their winnings” for the final battle.

Until I see further rules or see how this plays out, I’m not sure I like how they make the top players risk everything they’ve earned. Maybe everyone else should have to put their money back instead.

• Denise says:

The iPad app is supposed to let you play with your friends on Facebook if you log in but I can’t figure out how to do it. I can see where I would have to click on it but it won’t let me. Anybody else have this problem?

• Barry says:

So I look at the website for the new Game show Million Second Quiz, I look at the locations for the open auditions and I find the following one in Washington, now I know it has been a while since I was in DC but I did not think things changed this much. This Modern world is crazy.

SATURDAY, AUGUST 10, 2013

WASHINGTON, DC

MADAM’S ORGAN

2461 18TH ST NW

WASHINGTON DC, 20009

10AM – 6PM

If you don’t believe me go to the link below:

• Msty says:

IT DOESN’T work on ipad….Facebook friends don’t load!!!

• David R says:

I am sure that line jumpers are going to be shown in prime time. That is the live drama of the hour.
    That is the scenario someone will be rooting for: a line jumper from a non top 50 media market taking on someone who has been taking up residence in the money seat for more than half a day and they need a second match to resolve a tie!
    Not bad for an app.

• Sharon says:

Seriously fix this game. Has not worked in over a week have heard the same from tons of people using various devices

• Pete says:

Lots of fun if you like playing games half way through! It locks up on question 4 or 7 many times. Have to play 6 or 7 games to complete one. Anyone else having that problem?

• Rahul says:

Very nice information………..

• Temple1234 says:

Did anyone else get this email:

Dear Chris,

Thanks for Playing!

Nice going! Your current MSQ point total is 10400. Your Line Jumper status means you’ve qualified to apply to the show’s producers to be considered for the TV show, where you could win the biggest prize in game show history.

And there’s more good news: we’ve just updated the MSQ app with improved gameplay and new LEADERBOARDS. Update now! The Play with Friends feature will be coming soon!

And be sure to watch The Million Second Quiz live 10 night event starting September 9 at 8/7c on NBC

Here’s a look at the current leaders from over 7,002,118 games.

Today’s Top Players

JetW – Fremont , CA
    NikiP – Duluth , MN
    DenfordB – Romulus , MI
    LarryP – Pawleys Island , SC
    MandyD – Lee Center , NY

It’s weird because I actually have over 40,000 points not around 10,000 like the email says.

• laura cohon says:

Since you have updated the game after the first answer, it says no internet, there is nothing wrong
    on my end, so would it be possible to fix it?