26Jun2013
GSN’s “Minute to Win It” Debuts to 438K Average; Peaks at 525K Thumbnail

GSN’s “Minute to Win It” Debuts to 438K Average; Peaks at 525K

We don’t focus on ratings too much unless it matters, and a series launch is one reason to look.  Yesterday GSN launched its newest series, a revival of NBC’s Minute to Win It.  The results are in.  The new show, hosted by Apolo Anton Ohno, debuted to a two-hour average of 438,000.  Its peak rating was its debut 8:00PM ET episode at 525,000 viewers and 250,000 in the adults 18-49 demo.  However, it dipped to 350,000 and a demo figure of 141,000 in the second hour at 9:00PM ET.

This is considerably better than recent reruns of the original NBC version.  By comparison, standing up to other recent GSN game show debuts, 1 VS 100 debuted to 527,000 viewers at 7:00PM ET, Lingo to 524,000 at 8:00PM ET, and The Pyramid to 646,000 at 6:00PM ET.  Nothing of what I’ve said is a knock on the show’s quality, by the way.  I didn’t get to watch.  I’ll leave that up to you to decide.  However, the considerable loss between the hours is somewhat troubling, given that it’s usually the second episode of a series that gives indication to the potential.  However, let’s see who returns next week before anyone says anything.

Source : The Futon Critic

9 responses to "GSN’s “Minute to Win It” Debuts to 438K Average; Peaks at 525K"

I miss 1 VS 100… :(

• Anon says:

You got a minute, to hate the “every second counts” every 5 sec lol

• Matt says:

EVERY SECOND COUNTS is gonna kill this show.

• Phillip says:

Other than the change in values, host, and network, which are all okay, there really wasn’t any change at all to the format. They still had the introduction of the contestants, all of the visuals seem to be the same or at least close, and they still have the same amount of padding. The only change is the addition of the “every second counts” catchphrase, which is very annoying. The fact that they didn’t change anything to make this failed game show worth reviving is very disappointing.

• Mech says:

The show didn’t score as high with me as I was hoping. I’m not a fan of the host – he doesn’t seem to add to the excitement of the game at all. “Every second counts” is already making me cringe every time someone says it and is getting old in record time. Most of all, they are still doing the emotional crap every other game.

Okay, when the show was in primetime, a call from mom or dad when the player was thinking about going for game 7 or 8 with a six-figure risk and one life left was acceptable. The videos and phone calls from friends and family when they’re only going for $5,000? That’s just annoying to me. It feels like they are going to make a habit of it – how is it a surprise anymore? When you hear “so tell me about __fill in the blank__ who couldn’t be here today,” — you know what’s about to happen. It’s not special if they do it for every person.

• K.C. says:

I was at work when it was on. Were there forced commercials like on the NBC version?

• Bern says:

The “every second counts” just adds to a format that was already too “formula” to begin with.
    I miss Guy Fieri. I am disappointed so far.

• Alan says:

Couldn’t help but notice, those numbers for the premieres of the other three GSN reboots (Lingo, 1 vs. 100, Pyramid) were also very impressive. What concerns me, however, is that all three of those reboots were gone after one season (three strikes, as Apollo or Guy might call it). Hopefully history doesn’t repeat itself again here.