30May2013
Video: Think Twice Before Saying “Final Answer” Thumbnail

Video: Think Twice Before Saying “Final Answer”

Even during Meredith Vieira’s last week as host of Who Wants to be a Millionaire we’re still getting moments with her that we’ll remember for a while.  Every contestant’s nightmare is to blow it on an early question.  A very select group of people have missed the first question either due to not knowing the answer and guessing, misremembering, or just rushing through the game and not realizing what you said until you say “Final Answer.”  That’s what happened yesterday, and it’s probably going to haunt this guy for a long, long time.

Take a look.

You have to feel bad for the guy. It’s never fun to see anyone lose like this.

11 responses to "Video: Think Twice Before Saying “Final Answer”"

• Let me guess-this DUDE thinks a phrase that comes after Pork is UPINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Owen says:

This guy should have gotten NOTHING for bombing out on the first question. That’s one think I hate about the Shuffle format–you can f*** up on the very first question, and still leave with $1,000. I think you should have to get past question five (whether jumping over it or answering it correctly) before you get the $1,000 for missing a question.

• NJMark says:

I’m fine with $1000. In this format, it is possible for the first question to be the most difficult one. If it were the old format, with increasing difficulties, then $0 would be fair, since it took 5 questions to get to $1000 in the first place.

And that’s why I don’t like this format. One contestant could answer an easy question for $25,000, blow all the lifelines on the next two, and leave with $12,500 for answering only ONE question, while another could get difficult questions and have a bank under $2000.

The dollar value was also a clue as to whether the answer is the obvious one, or if there might be a trick.

• the graduate kid says:

—- I agree missing the first question should be $0, but getting the first one should be $1,000. The first 10 questions are not asked in order of difficulty unless they all stay in their original place after being shuffled.
    —- I felt so sorry for the guy when he called out the wrong letter. I also noticed when he called out the wrong letter, he was not looking at any monitors available to him with the question and answers. I know even looking at one of those monitors can lead to a careless answer. There was the lady with a Denny’s reference in the question and/ or answers that lost on a careless answer.

• Woodie B. says:

Actually, the $0 rule is in effect on the XBOX 360 version of Millionaire. The first time I ever played the game, I missed the very first question and ended up with zero dollars. Every time I played thereafter, if I got at least one question correct (then get one wrong), I would end up with $1,000.

• Shaun says:

I am glad Meredith is leaving. The show has gone to hell since they screwed with the format. Cedric is going to mess it up even worse. Millionaire is dead.

• TC says:

I wouldn’t use the word “select” to describe the group of people who got the first question wrong. MENSA is a select group. The NBA is a select group. Llamas…not so much.

• Ardenfetz says:

Tough to lose out just by calling the wrong letter. This is why it’s a good idea to say both the letter and the answer, to confirm it in your head.
    Incidently, I could not have missed this question; I actually have this syndrome. : )

• Jonathan Gabel says:

This one could be up there with that one female contestant on the Regis Philbin version of “Millionaire” on which the contestant blew it on the slip of her tongue when she said that her final answer was “clothespins are made for washing clothes”. Now we know that it was meant for drying clothes. But with the slip of her tongue on the wrong answer she screamed out tragically because she immediately knew she made a mistake and won zero dollars! She even slammed on the montior as well. It has been about 11 to 12 years ago since that incident happened. I am just wondering if anyone remembers that incident.

• Travis Penery says:

Easiest $1,000 he will ever win.

• Alan says:

To be fair, a lot of people *would* refer to a slip-up like mixing up your letters as a hiccup.

Besides, the pronunciation of three of those letters are so similar, it occasionally has me wondering why they (and others) haven’t switched their answers to a numerical (or even letter-less) format yet.