31May2013
Autumn Erhard Wins $1,000,000 Grand Prize on “Wheel of Fortune” Thumbnail

Autumn Erhard Wins $1,000,000 Grand Prize on “Wheel of Fortune”

The confetti fell on Wheel of Fortune Thursday night.  For the first time in five years, a contestant spun the $1,000,000 envelope and won. On Thursday’s edition of Wheel Autumn Erhard became only the second person ever to take hom the million dollar top prize.  Autumn spun the $1,000,000 wedge in the main game, solved the puzzles, avoided Bankrupt, and beat the competition to take the top prize (along with the $30,000 in cash and prizes she had locked up).

The Wild Card she won during the main game was the key to winning.  The Wild Card letter of “G” was the only additional letter she got for the final puzzle.  To the complete shock of Pat Sajak she solved the puzzle instantly and took home the $1,000,000 prize.  Autumn finished with a total of $1,030,340.  This is the biggest win in the nearly 40 year history of the franchise and 30 year history of the current syndicated edition.

“I am in complete and utter shock,” said the newly minted millionaire. “I’m shaking. I came here today because I love the game, I wanted to have some fun and solve some puzzles – I feel like I’m in a dream! No one could believe it! They were just off stage and couldn’t see what my prize was. They were celebrating the fact that I solved the puzzle,” Erhard added. “They kept asking me how much I won, and I had to keep repeating it because no one believed me at first.”

There are few things better on television than seeing someone win the jackpot on a show.  It’s incredibly rare to see a million dollar winner on most game shows these days, let alone Wheel of Fortune where it’s incredibly hard to win.  The equally-incredibly hard puzzle she had to solve, with practically no help, made it even more memorable.  Congratulations to Autumn.

Did you miss it, or want to relive it?  Check out the big win below.

13 responses to "Autumn Erhard Wins $1,000,000 Grand Prize on “Wheel of Fortune”"

• Dorvell says:

It sure was nice to see someone hit the jackpot again. Congratulations, Autumm! You deserve it!

• Lee Hubbard says:

I curse WDAM, the Hattiesburg-Laurel affiliate, for not showing it without advance notice. They ran a Top of the Class special instead:(

• D.H. says:

Not airing this episode is a crime against television, what a great moment!

• Brian in CT says:

Lee, I hope WDAM aired the episode earlier this evening. I also hope you called up the station on Thursday during the preemption and gave them an earfull.

• Andrew says:

Awfully nonchalant reveal for a million-dollar prize…

• Chris says:

A fantastic win!!! Way to go Autumn!!!

• Jonathan Gabel says:

Definitely one of the top game show moments of 2013!

• Daniel B. says:

I applaud Autumn for her victory (especially with so few letters showing), but three things come to mind:

1) It was originally scheduled for Friday (today), as revealed right after it was taped, and was seemingly rescheduled because look at all those 30′s.

2) Wheel spoiling it for everyone by trying to bludgeon the audience over the head with it (spoilers in the “this week” video on the website, another spoiler-riffic video on their Facebook account, the week’s contestant blog being from someone who was clearly wearing the same outfit as someone in the promo videos…)

3) The audience didn’t exactly look enthused at the win, and it was clear that Wheel sweetened things in post.

• Brian "Sonic Whammy" Sapinski says:

I’ve been in total “We’re not worthy!” mode from the moment she solved that puzzle. No way in the world that should have been solved, but she got it. Plain and simple, for just the solve alone, she deserved the million, even it wasn’t in her envelope. Congrats to her!

• John R. says:

What was the answer to the puzzel?

• Mark says:

Does anyone else dislike the fact that Pat Sajak knows ahead of time whether or not they land on the million dollar space? I had a feeling that she landed on it because of the way Pat awkwardly tried to pretend like he had no clue. But he knows. I feel like the host should be just as surprised as the contestant during the reveal…

• Bob Asmus says:

When is the Wheelmobile visiting Denver next for contestant auditions?