05Apr2013
Category
Cable, Host, New Show
Syfy Orders Japanese Format “Exit” Thumbnail

Syfy Orders Japanese Format “Exit”

Syfy has had some pretty good success in the game show market.  They’re planning to continue that with their newest greenlight, the Japanese format Exit.  Hosted by Curt Doussett, each episode sees four teams of two face off in physical and mental challenges all while trapped in diabolical rooms.  Losing teams will leave the game in inventive, scary, and horror-movie themed ways.  The final surviving team wins $10,000.  Think of it as a mix of brainteasers and puzzles, some elements of Syfy’s Total Blackout, and the style and attitude of Saw.  Exit will debut June 4th at 10:00PM ET on Syfy.

Here’s a quick pitch film for the show.  Looking forward to it?

9 responses to "Syfy Orders Japanese Format “Exit”"

• Andrew L. says:

So this is basically what Japanese game show fans know as Dasshutsu Game DERO!, right?

• Netstryke says:

Yep. It’s Dasshutsu Game DERO! Alright.

It’s going to be interesting to see how they put a North American spin
    on it.

• Poochy.EXE says:

A few years ago, I would’ve been extremely excited for this, since I absolutely loved the original DERO! But these days, I’m worried they’ll screw it up, especially since this seems to be produced by the same bozo (Craig Plestis) responsible for turning Minute to Win It and Who’s Still Standing? into a circus, and was also added to 1 vs. 100 for season 2 and ruined it. So call me cautiously optimistic.

• The Banker's Nephew says:

I don’t like the word “scary” being anywhere in that paragraph. I’m used to DERO! and TORE! being fairly lighthearted formats, and I don’t want all the comedy and fun getting dropped.
    Also afraid that the contestants will all be the usual flock of obnoxious out-of-work actors and over-the-top stereotypes that modern American game shows are so fond of.

I think I’ll enjoy this show more than Total Blackout, but I wish Syfy offered a higher top prize, something along the lines of even $50,000. It just seems a bit cheap for me…

• Poochy.EXE says:

I simply can’t understand why the prize is even a factor. For me, it’s the game that counts. The Japanese version’s top prize is 100,000 yen, which is just over US$1,000 by current exchange rates. And I still love it.

• Joe says:

Looks like a cross between 101 ways to leave a game show, and Estate of Panic, which means it could get really hokey by episode 6 when they’ve burned through all their best gimmicks and ideas.

• Shon says:

I’ve been watching Japanese Game Shows since the late ’80s and when I was younger my wish was that these great shows would be imported here and now I wish no American production company would go near them. The problem (as mentioned before) is these are light hearted shows never meant to be taken seriously (Iron Chef being one of the few exceptions) and the fact that it’s on Sci-Fi doesn’t quench that fear as they take all their properties way too seriously. Also these Japanese game shows are mostly played with celebrities because some of the shows are driven by them like TORE! Perfect example how that failed would have been “Hole-in-the-wall” where that was a segment on a Japanese show with celebrities that was never meant to have a whole game show made around it. The other problem with these shows are the production values where they make everything overly dramatic and the sets super dark. Why?

There has been only one good show that was imported from Japan and that was the Ultra Quiz with Rowan & Martin and I doubt they’ll do it here again or if they do it will look like a Amazing Race rip-off.