07Feb2013
Chad Mosher
Category
Host, Millionaire
Report: Cedric the Entertainer Finalizes Deal To Host “Who Wants to Be a Millionaire” Thumbnail

Deadline is reporting that Cedric the Entertainer has finalized a deal to take over as host of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire. Cedric has, reportedly, signed on for three years, nearing Vieira‘s salary in her final years. As we have reported in the past, new episodes with Vieira will air until summer, with repeats airing until the season 12 premiere in September. Vieira will have hosted nearly 2,000 episodes of the trivia program, but is leaving to, ”embark on a new adventure with NBC.”

The 48-year-old Cedric the Entertainer, real name Cedric Kyles, has hosted one game show previously: the short-lived NBC appraisal game show It’s Worth What? for 9 episodes in the summer of 2011.  He currently stars in the TV Land sitcom The Soul Man, but is better known for his association with current Family Feud host Steve Harvey, acting as a co-star on his WB sitcom and touring with him as one of the “Original Kings of Comedy.”

What do you think about this news? Will you keep watching, tune in more or less, or will it have no effect on your habits?

Source : Deadline

Chad Mosher

41 responses to "Report: Cedric the Entertainer Finalizes Deal To Host “Who Wants to Be a Millionaire”"

• JULIUS MAY says:

I’m puzzled. The show is headed for certain cancellation, after next season.

• Corey says:

As I said earlier, fantastic hire. ANYONE is better than that bore of a “host” Meredith. You will see instant rating improvements.

• Mark in Toronto says:

Millionaire with Cedric the Entertainer as host is worth whaaaaaaat? Potentially not a lot, as I have a fear this this might effectively kill the show.

I have nothing against Cedric – he’s a relatively funny comedian and actor – but he already proved that he’s not a great game show host on It’s Worth What? I watched the clip in the initial post about this report, and more than half of Cedric’s dialogue was added in post-production. That likely doesn’t bode well for Millionaire.

The show is definitely trying to ride Family Feud’s coattails here. Steve Harvey is a great fit for the Feud, as that show has a more loose format, and lots of room for comedy. But Millionaire’s a straight-up quiz show which is more serious and doesn’t really have room for laughs, although there have been some over the years.

I hate being the voice of gloom and doom, but this was not a smart decision. Cedric was a pretty random choice to begin with. If the producers were smart, they’d have done a proper review of the previous guest hosts, as some of them did a great job during their respective stints.

• Nick says:

Mark, I agree with you completely. And I’ll add another thing: people are a bit dumb for saying they would not watch anymore. Give him a chance! Also, I have my doubts but the people that say it’s the end of Millionaire and it will surely be cancelled are the ones that aren’t going to watch because they are the doomsayers! This isn’t right. Treat Millionaire with respect and give Cedric a chance. The ratings might go up…again, I doubt it too and am very sad to see Meredith go but no one knows for sure until it happens.

Until then, I’m going to heavily enjoy Meredith’s final episodes. She’s had an amazing run. And this Season 11 has been the best season in about 3-5 years of the show. So many big winners and good moments!

• Julia says:

While to someone who watches only Millionaire, it might seem like a choice out of left field. To a game show fan, it makes total sense. Why do you think CBS chose Wayne Brady to host LMaD after the success of Drew on TPIR? They saw a proven track record for hosts from the Whose Line cast, so they chose Wayne. This is a total play off of Family Feud. Both Steve Harvey and Cedric are from the Original Kings of Comedy. Since Bernie Mac is gone, Cedric is really the only other name left. Steve’s been so successful at taking a show that had ratings in the 1.7 or 1.8 range, on the verge of cancellation, to a 5.0+ rating week in and week out that the people at Millionaire wanted to keep that trend going and try it out themselves. It might fail or it might be a brilliant decision, bringing the show back to the 4.0 ratings it was getting when it started out in syndication. Nobody knows at this point. To call this random, though, is just not true.

• Brekkie says:

Millionaire though is essentially a quiz show, the others are light hearted game shows. That’s not to say the host can’t add a bit of humour to proceedings (Chris Tarrant tries his best here!) but essentially with Millionaire the game is the star, not the host.

• Donald says:

It’s real hard to visualize anyone taking over as host of a game show that has been on the air for so long and with the same host as well. Let’s not forget Drew replaced Bob Barker after 35 years doing Price. This is in the same ballpark. Since it started, we’ve only seen two hosts; Rege and Meredith. It would be fitting for Regis to come back since he ain’t nothing going on and I’m sure Joy wouldn’t mind him getting out of the house again (LOL. J/K).

He did alright doing “It’s Worth What?” but that show didn’t have long-lasting appeal. After all, that was an NBC show. But Millionaire should be fine with Cedric. Wouldn’t have been my first choice, but as long as there’s no drastic changes to the game, it’ll be fine.

To the producers of Millionaire: Leave it as is. Don’t do any major changes. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Thank you.

• Ryan says:

Seeing as how I didn’t like Meredith, I will definitely give Cedric the Entertainer a chance, although I am not sure this is the right way to go. It makes sense of Family Feud but not for Millionaire. Either way, the difficulty of the questions is what ultimately keeps me away!

• John says:

God-forbid we embrace any mental stimulation.

• Poochy.EXE says:

I think the problem Ryan’s referring to is not that the questions are too hard in the mentally stimulating way, but too hard in the “who in their right mind cares about that kind of crap?!” way. Nobody could possibly know what some famous actor/actress did in their childhood, and nobody cares. Those are the trashiest kind of lame trivia questions. They’re just celebrity gossip, and they’re no more mentally stimulating than MTV. They just make me want to roll my eyes so hard that they roll right out of my head. And Millionaire has two of them per game at a bare minimum. That’s why I stopped watching, and unless I hear they finally knocked it off, I doubt anything else could make me interested in it again.

• Shon says:

I got to say I wasn’t a huge fan of Meredith although she had some good moments. It’s just she was fairly monotone compared to Regis.

I agree that Cedric wasn’t the best choice for host but just as long as he’s energetic and not too bombastic or trying too hard I think he’ll do just fine.

• Rusty says:

I’m not sure what to make of this. Cedric would not have been my first choice (Tom Bergeron would have been), but he does have experience in hosting a game show and he did a decent job with It’s Worth What. I guess I will be one of those who will wait and see what happens this fall.

• Doug Morris says:

I’d be willing to give Cedric a chance. But, to borrow an often-used line from the “Star Wars” franchise, “I’ve got a bad feeling about this.”

WWTBAM is a quiz show that should be hosted by someone with a background in TV talk shows, TV news or something to that effect. Reege was a perfect fit in the network version of WWTBAM (he was a movie critic for KABC in L.A. and a sports anchor at the then KBTV, now KUSA, in Denver; of course, he was co-hosting “Live” at the time). Meredith was a perfect fit for the syndie version (in addition to WWTBAM, she hosted or co-hosted ABC’s “The View”, Lifetime’s “Intimate Portrait” and/or NBC’s “The Today Show”).

Earlier, I did a little (and I mean “a little”) campaigning for Mike Greenberg, best known as one half of ESPN Radio’s “Mike and Mike in the Morning”. You’ll recall he hosted two brief runs of the ABC prime time quiz “Duel”. If I read WWTBAM’s taping schedule right, that would run alongside the NFL pre-season and most of the regular season. So, Disney bosses probably wouldn’t want run the risk of Greeny missing out on a lot of radio work and other ESPN assignments.

Reege on the syndie version wouldn’t have been a bad choice either. Giving the aforementioned taping schedule, he could handle working a four-month season. At the risk of making age an issue, I don’t think Reege’s return to WWTBAM would’ve lasted beyond three seasons. In fairness, he’s rumored to host a talk show on the forthcoming Fox Sports 1 (currently Speed) — which would be sports’ version of “The View”.

*Still*, it’s baffling people such as Tom Bergeron, Cat Deeley and Samantha Harris got passed over for Cedric the Entertainer.

I think Cedric did fine with “It’s Worth What?” After all, it was basically “The Price is Right” with the focus on auction items and antiques instead of merchandise valued at current retail prices. But if he replaces “Is that your final answer?” with “Are you sure?/Are you sure sure?”, that won’t be a good sign.

It also won’t be a good sign if Cedric spends a lot of time cracking jokes with the contestants — especially when anyone reaches the “Classic Millionaire” round. Jokes can help ease the tension and loosen up the player — but they should be done sparingly.

Maybe they went with Cedric because he’s cheap?

I’m not sure. But I don’t think he’ll be a good fit for Millionaire. They should’ve gotten Regis, or at the very least, someone else who has ACTUALLY GUEST-HOSTED the show.

I don’t know who comes up with these hosting decisions, but someone definitely wasn’t thinking straight when they made this decision.

• Michael says:

My guess is that Networks and Producers today are too picky, and too lazy.

• James says:

It’s also because there is hardly any pool for people who are hosts first and foremost. Gone are the days when you could say, “New game show? Get Bob/Alex/Chuck/Tom/Bill/Wink/etc.” But why everyone feels the need to look up a comedian or ex-sitcom star, I don’t know. Fortunately, it’s worked for the most part…because the shows the sitcommers or comedians are on are mostly party type shows (TPIR, LMAD, FF). This is a totally different animal. And one that I’m not sure will survive intact. Cedric will have to be more serious, or they will have to dumb down the show and/or make it more comedic (worries about it ODing on YouTube Moments like a certain other show with a former King of Comedy). I can’t see either right now. But we shall see.

Yes I wondered too about Regis. I mean, you have the man who brought the show to its highest popularity RIGHT THERE, and it’s not like he doesn’t have more free time now. This choice might be as bizarre as having Ricki Lake host the Gameshow Marathon.

• Peggy says:

Poor choice with Cedric – must be paranoid – the hats have to go – at his age & being a professional (?) why does he need this ‘crutch’??

• Lee Hubbard says:

Have they announced when Meredith’s final show will air?

In recent years I didn’t think anyone could replace John O’Hurley when he decided to leave Family Feud. Boy was I proven wrong as Steve Harvey has done exceptionally well:)

• Daniel B. says:

Serious question: has this actually been confirmed? ABC said they wouldn’t make any statement until the host deal was finalized, so I have a hard time believing this is true.

And if this *is* true? Then the reasons are clear.

• Matt says:

This is “THE END” for millionaire.

• Jon says:

They should bring back the hot seat

• Alex McMillan says:

This is total and utter mismatch.

• Zach says:

Honestly, I am not going to make any judgements until I see how Cedric does on this show. I don’t think IMO it makes too much sense at this point to say “THE SHOW IS DOOMED” without even watching an episode to see how he does at the helm. If he turns out to be a mis match, then you can make an argument that the show is in trouble.

I’ve got to agree with this. Someone who guest-hosted the show and guest-hosted it well should have been chosen the host.

• Homer Jay says:

Never mind that they might not have wanted the show full time and/or were otherwise not available.

• David says:

That is a good point. They might have wanted someone else and been rebuffed. We’ll never truly know the details (or mindset) behind the scenes.

• Josh says:

You don’t suppose that Tyler Perry would be a good host, do you?

• John says:

I personally would’ve liked to see Kenny Mayne do it.

Remember Reege was on the 1st season championship game of 2-Minute Drill as a panelist (this confirmed from Chris Lambert’s defunct web site), and Kenny mentioned there were connections between both Drill and Millionaire (mainly Michael Davies bringing both shows across the pond, not to mention borrowing the clock-tick sound from the PAF lifeline).

• David says:

Congradulations to Cedric for getting the hosting job, will watch to see how it goes, but still say they should have brought Regis back to do the hosting.

They want to focus their show now toward a “different” viewer… they no longer want an “educated” audience anymore. Poor decision Valley Crest (I believe the production company).

RIP Millionaire

• Million Heir says:

That’s what I am afraid of. Dumb down the host and you dumb down the audience. That just leaves us with Jeopardy!

• Should you be trying in order to this boost associated with cash advance, you may have
    to bring in or pay less money throughout dozens of your
    following. obtain with shirts or dresses about to catch making use of any more
    to be able to convey the cash you will want.

The idea has become a company that is developing to find approaches to
    support the planet by folks that sell off older shirts or dresses not just to save lots of dollars, to
    help recycling outfits. You should invest in anybody My spouse
    and i considered for the purpose of stow is constantly on
    the advertise your stock options with their aged garments, along with they can’t health care although marketed, to exchange the item.

Right after moving thru the closets, you need to seeking out attire, isn’t really definitely not scent or simply
    impure in particular (in the event it’s actually a perhaps the model them) split as well as put on severely. Apt to order for the reason that high, there exists a have got to uncover garments to adjust to the growing season a lot of these.

Satisfy just be sure to are searching for my best dresses. golf iron and also clear all of them prior to you get it to the hold. As well, consult in order to name that hold before, provide the shirts or dresses involving whether or not there is certainly any establishing that and also..

• If you’re struggling to settle your improve from pay day, you might want to get and also use less money throughout countless for the following. buy of garmets you’re not making use of these days for one to get the bucks you would like.

The software has changed into a home business which can be raising to watch out
    for new ways to guidance mid-air by just men and women that distribute ancient clothes but not only to
    conserve bucks, to be able to recycling apparel.
    It’s good to pay for virtually anyone That i believed designed for keep is constantly on the offer typically the inventory of these good old garmets, and also they just do not health care despite that purchased, to switch that.

After spending through an individual’s cabinets, remember to in need of dress, isn’t in no way odour or even discoloured specifically (unless sanctioned area of the fashion it again) rip in addition to dress yourself in negatively. Gonna pay for when high, you will find a ought to uncover garmets in order to suit the summer season these.

I highly recommend you be sure that you want your perfect attire. golf club and also clear these products prior to deciding to acquire these to this shop. Furthermore, ask if you want to telephone your retail outlet upfront, provide the clothing involving whether there’s any positioning them and additionally.

• Million Heir says:

I attended a taping of Millionaire today at the new studio in NYC. Cedric was AWFUL. Just walking through the motions. Reading, poorly, from a teleprompter. Making so many pronunciation errors, it was awkward. He is not warm and friendly like Meredith, spending way too much time adjusting his hat and pocket square between takes. Maybe he will grow into it? I don;t see it. It is not his personality or forte. I MISS MEREDITH!

• Bette says:

Watching Millionaire on my lunch break on the days I work at home was treat for me. I thought Meredeth did a great job. I gave Cedric two chances and in my opinion he is a total fail. Comparing him to Steve Harvey in Feud in an insult to Harvey who is a charming host. Cedric adds NOTHING. He appears to host-walking through the show. It’s now two show ABC failed with their choices this one and the View.

• catherine says:

I gave it a try.
    Watched a few, yuk.
    WON’T be tuning in anymore.
    He just doesn’t have “IT”