“Drew Carey’s Improv-A-Ganza” Returns to GSN Starting November 16th Thumbnail

“Drew Carey’s Improv-A-Ganza” Returns to GSN Starting November 16th

We’ve got a small GSN schedule update this afternoon that’s going to elicit an interesting reaction.  Drew Carey’s Improv-A-Ganza, the improv comedy show which is essentially a spin off of fan favorite Whose Line is it Anyway?, is returning to GSN’s lineup.  The series will re-debut starting Friday, November 16th, from 8:00PM ET to 10:00PM ET.  It will replace The Pyramid which has been floundering in the ratings for weeks now.

Improv-A-Ganza initially debuted in April 2011 but only lasted through June due to lower-than-expected ratings.  They’re obviously hoping this go-around does slightly better.  It’s had a long break and never ran that long so its 40 episodes will seem fresh.  With four episodes on Fridays only they have at least 10 weeks to judge how it will go.

Look, I know Improv-A-Ganza got some negative attention because it’s not a game show, but the improv comedy fan in me is happy and I’m very happy to see it back.  And, again, sorry, but The Pyramid has not worked. Improv-A-Ganza may work out for them as a weekly show.  We’ll see starting next week.  I’m just glad to see the show back.  I was always a big fan, and with Whose Line not around anymore it’s nice to have some improv comedy back on US television.

Source : GSN

31 responses to "“Drew Carey’s Improv-A-Ganza” Returns to GSN Starting November 16th"

• Phillip says:

By the show coming back, do you mean that it is returning in reruns or new episodes? Either way, I’m looking forward to it. Whatever happened to Trust Us With Your Life?

• Vincent Chiucchi says:

Sucks that The Pyramid is going to get canceled, but I don’t blame GSN for it. People just aren’t as interested in Pyramid anymore, and it really didn’t help that there were a lot of bad players.

• Tyler says:

I’m Glad that The Pyramid is finally getting cancelled. But i’m not happy that Drew Carey’s Improv-A-Ganza is coming back.

• Tyler says:

Come on GSN, Please put The $25,000 Pyramid back on your Friday Night Lineup.

• Wayne says:

that sound you just heard are the ratings hitting the floor…

• Jay says:

I have a question for everybody…didn’t the same people who panned “The Pyramid” also pan “Improv-A-Ganza”? In other words, a bad show is replacing a bad show? I agree with Tyler…put “The $25,000 Pyramid” back on the air…or even “The $20,000 Pyramid”. (I wish)

GSN was doing great with bringing classics back. What happened?

• Chris says:

Here’s my “interesting reaction”…

*starts pounding on the business end of a bicycle horn with a rather large trout*

• Mike B. says:

“The love-it-or-hate-it improv comedy show”? Meh, I didn’t feel that strongly about it one way or the other. It had its entertaining moments but couldn’t come close to Whose Line. Beyond that, it just wasn’t a good fit for GSN’s audience, though the earliest ratings indicated that it could have maintained an audience of its own if it lived up to the hype. As for the idea of putting on the schedule now, I already went into detail about the ratings in the past (and probably present), so I’ll just say “Good luck with that”.

• Da Winner's Circle says:

well folks, The Pyramid maybe dead and gone for GSN but look on the bright side, gameplay and set wise at least it was a little bit better than the 2002-2004 “Donnymid” era from the land of syndication right?

now I may have never watched a single episode of this show but bringing back Improv-A-Ganza was really a D-U-M-B move for GSN. besides it should be for Comedy Central anyway. also do you know what other GSN original S-T-I-N-K-E-R should be for Comedy Central as well?

just in case if you don’t know what i’m talking about I’ll sum it up for you in just three words LATE…NIGHT…LIARS!

well either that or Adult Swim.

also on another “BRIGHT SIDE” note at least they brought back Press Your Luck on their daytime schedule showing early episodes from 1983.

so I’ll say GSN in 2012 is pretty in-between.some good,some bad. basically, their decisions are just 50-50.

but prepare yourselves for GSN’s reality show armageddon as Family Trade and War of the Rose Sisters will be paired up together, broadcast (and hopefully fail) on the network in the future of 2013.

• Wayne says:

The decisions are whatever is going to lose enough money for tax purposes in the Sony universe.

Can anyone with any real knowledge say what it cost GSN per episode of Pyramid, and how much revenue was received in return? It can’t be that expensive to produce this show, and the numbers they had (I think) weren’t really all that bad for the time slot.

I’ve asked before, and I’ll ask again, but what is the rating comparison to Catch-21, the show that previously held the timeslot; and what were Catch-21′s first season ratings?

• Kirsten says:

I’m So Happy It’s Coming Back!

• Phillip says:

Still no answer, do you mean coming back for new episodes or only returning to the schedule in reruns?

• Antonio says:

Phillip, these are episodes that already aired on GSN…

• Ashley says:

This is amazing. This show is finally getting the second chance it deserves. I love it so much. Now that I think about it, it really changed me as a person. That sounds cheesy and odd, but it’s true. The comedy and, especially, all of the people involved made this show one for the ages. It’s hilarious and they’re all perfect; episodes and participants alike. How perfect. I could imagine how much more of a shock this would have come to me if I didn’t go see them perform every time they came to town, or didn’t have all of the episodes recorded. I’m simply jovial.

• Julia says:

OK…Answer me this…Why hasn’t Whose Line Is It Anyway? made an actual revival instead of these crappy attempts to bring improv comedy back in some sorta game format? That would just make more sense.

• Andrew L. Budny says:

And further more proves why GSN is going down hill. Airing more dumb shows like Bible Challenge and Improv-A-Ganza instead of airing quality shows like The Pyramid, Catch 21, Lingo, Russian Roulette and Cram just to name a few. It was a good show with a decent host but with bad contestants and sub-par celebrities mixed in with bad promotion on GSN’s part.

The show suffered terribly if I was in Rich Cronan’s place, I would totally re-work Pyramid by getting better celebrities and contestants who know how to play the game. If they did this in the first place, then we could have had a season two. Shame on you GSN, you just lost a loyal viewer.

• Angel says:

The American Bible Challenge was GSN’s highest show of all time where over 6 million people watched the show from begining to end and 1.7 million people watched the series premier and it’s coming back for a 2nd season. And in other GSN news Beat The Chefs is coming back November 19 to finish where it left off and to have an all day Thanksgivingday Beat The Chefs Marathon.

• bmhedgehog says:

I think this is a good idea to take pyramid down for a little bit and try to iron out the bugs, though the only problem is the celebs. If they didn’t air those episodes that they originally said that they’re not going to air the show would have been fine, but no and now look what happened.

As for Improv-A-Ganza, I don’t care if its re-running or its new episodes, I honestly like it, though it would be nice to go back to Who’s Line.

• GSNFan says:

This is probably the worst schedule change to happen to GSN this year since American Bible Challenge/Beat the Chefs were over-run in weekend reruns, and on a larger scale, the way they scheduled DWTS. I have no reason to watch GSN on Friday nights until about 10pm now.

It would be great for them to acquire something new for Friday nights, or Sunday nights, which means bouncing 5th Grader to Fridays. It may give me a reason to support “Stack scheduling” more.

• Brandon W. says:

It makes me wonder: Why in the hell would GSN want to revive “Pyramid” anyway? I mean, “Donnymid” (2002-04) was enough of a revival for me, but still, the format can’t keep up with the other new shows as well as the longer-running shows still airing today.

When I heard about the 2009 pilots, I thought, “Hell, nobody’s going to buy it.” I thought the same thing about the 2010 pilots.