13Sep2012
Chad Mosher
Category
Announcements, Canada, Foreign
“Match Game” Canada Announces Well-Known Names On Panel Thumbnail

“Match Game” Canada Announces Well-Known Names On Panel

In game show communities, it’s sort of a joke that Canadian game shows aren’t exactly of the highest in quality or budget in contrast to their neighbors to the south. However, The Comedy Network announced today the list of panelists that will be participating in the 40 episodes of their Match Game premiering October 15th. Judging by some of the celebrities they got to participate in this new incarnation hosted by comedian Darrin Rose, that idea may not prove to be true with this program. A few fairly well-known names to most people, not just strictly Canadians, will be circulating on the panel. These names include:

• Andy Kindler
  • Caroline Rhea
  • Colin Mochrie
  • D.L. Hughley
  • Greg Grunberg
  • Janeane Garofalo
  • Scott Thompson
  • Tom Green
  • Yvette Nicole Brown

The rest of the list, including the announce regulars of Seán Cullen and Debra DiGiovanni, includes more Canadian-known names. Other panelists throughout the season are:

• Amanda Tapping
  • Robin Dunne
  • Ron Josol
  • Ryan Belleville
  • Sabrina Jalees
  • Steve Patterson
  • Tara Spencer-Nairn

The show continues to film in Montreal and will again air weeknights at 8PM ET on The Comedy Network beginning October 15th. It is usually expected for a show like this to contain some lesser-known names, but I think the top panelists they did get are pretty good. What do you think about the lineup?

Chad Mosher

34 responses to "“Match Game” Canada Announces Well-Known Names On Panel"

• Nicholas Roche says:

Any chance they’ll post eps to either their website or YouTube maybe? I am so starved for MG beyond the constant 1974-75 loop GSN is doing.

• DENo1MatchGameFan says:

All GSN needs to do is quit blowing money on reality like “Dancing With The Stars”, and get the G/T library back so we don’t have to suffer with ‘cycles’ anymore. You’d think they would have learned from the mess they made with “The Amazing Race” in the mid 2000′s!

• Jay Lewis says:

Amanda Tapping is known for Stargate SG-1 & Atlantis & the recently cancelled Sanctuary. She is definitely not a “more Canadian-known name.”

I do like that pretty much all of the regulars from Video on Trial are being rotated through the panel. Boomer would have been a bust but Trevor Boris mighta been really good.

• shelly says:

But Stargate does have a bit of a cult status, so yes, she would be known more than most of the others on the list. (Unless you have a very good knowledge of Canadian comedians.)

• Jay Lewis says:

I took the author’s meaning to be that she is more known in Canada, as opposed to other countries. Which I kinda doubt. SG1/A/Sanc were much bigger (cult) hits outside of Canada.

Also, wouldn’t it seem that Scott Thompson should be on the “more-Canadian known” list? What did he do to gain notoriety outside of Canada? Hank Kinglsey’s aide on the Larry Sanders Show? KitH was HUGE here, but pretty cult/underground in the USA.

• Nicholas Roche says:

It had enough airtime in the US on its various outlets (COMEDY CENTRAL, LOGO, IFC, etc.) to make Scott pretty well-known. BTW, Kevin McDonald (listed in the “lesser knowns”) was also part of KITH.

I was surprised to see Amanda’s name on the list. Nevertheless, I’m looking forward to watching it. I already get Comedy East and West, so I’ll make sure to tune in.

Though I do have to agree with Chad when he said that “Canadian game shows aren’t exactly of the highest in quality or budget in contrast to their neighbors to the south.” Believe me, I know, after watching many of the so-called cheap game shows produced over here. But hopefully Comedy will change all of this.

I think Match Game would’ve been a good fit alongside the new Pyramid for GSN, but I guess Comedy beat them to it.

• K.C. says:

That cast will surely make this a slam dunk. CBS could use something like this. I’d say have Drew Carey host it, have these celebrities and rotate a few Whose Line alums. Make it a half-hour show, reduce LMAD to half an hour, and put them both at about 2 or 3 in the afternoon. As for a new TPIR host, if Drew wouldn’t want to do double duty, I’d say Todd Newton would be a perfect choice. That would be a killer daytime lineup. 3 game shows, 2 soaps and a talk show.

• Andrew L. says:

Tara Spencer-Nairn was Karen the police officer on Corner Gas, she’s now on The Listener; Leah Miller is the host of So You Think You Can Dance Canada and a correspondent on E! Canada; Jonny Harris is Const. Crabtree on Murdoch Mysteries. Again, these are all Canadian-produced shows, though I believe some of them have been syndicated in the States. Looking forward to the new “Match Game”.

• shelly says:

Corner Gas has been syndicated in the US, and The Listener is on TNT, I believe. Murdoch Mysteries has never aired in the US, but it is extremely popular in Canada.

• BJ Wanlund says:

I think they’re onto something here. Lots of celebs, lesser-known names, and Colin Mochrie, a Whose Line alum and whom is seriously one of the funniest men alive. And if they stick him as a regular into the CNR seat, I think he could fill it admirably, ESPECIALLY if they go with a more improv/wild-&-crazy direction that is like the 70s MG, but also bring back the Match Ups, which were probably one of the more interesting elements of the short-lived 1990 version.

BJ

• bmhedgehog says:

Ya know it would be awesome if they got fellow Canadian Game Show Host Alex Trebek on MG, though those episodes would be tapped durring Jepoardy’s off season.

I 100% agree with BJ, Mochrie would be next CNR of MG, but I disagree with bringing back Match-ups it just totally takes away from the flow of the game and half the time the computer that was running it crashes.

• Ghost of GSN's Past says:

I want to know what direction the questions go in…keep them light and occasionally risque (like the 70s version) or go the MG’98 route/compete with Harvey Feud for “OMG they said that?!?!?”

• No Anne Murray? What the ? ? ?

• Nikolai says:

Keisha Chante is a popular singer on this side of the border. Jeremy Hotz is what is known has a “miserable” comedian. Sometimes he starts with the line “What a miserable day this is”. Kevin McDonald was best known as a member of the comedy troupe “The Kids in the Hall”. I had only heard of Lori Elliott because she played Harold’s girlfriend Bonnie in the final season of “The Red Green Show”. Leah Miller is a reporter for “ETalk” on CTV and the host of “So You Think You Can Dance Canada”.

Hope this info helps with some of those other Canadian celebrities.

• Poopi says:

I’m Canadian and I’ve never heard of most of these people. Match Game was too much a product of its time to ever work today. Leave it alone and let it rest in peace.

Have a divinely delightful day!

• Chris L says:

Meaghan Rath plays Sally on the North American version of “Being Human”. She’s, how you say, eeeeeasy on the eyes.

• Matt (#mhmrules to you) says:

Is it okay for me to love Canada now?

• SandraB says:

I was at a taping and I think it will be great! Everyone interacted really well and are very funny. Darrin even had the stance down when he went over to talk to the celebrity panel.. one foot on the riser and a lean in. (stripped socks btw)

• James says:

Seeing Caroline Rhea there makes me very happy…I loved her on Bergeron HS of course.

And for the person who said it, I wouldn’t mind Anne Murray either!

• Michael Hambrook says:

Anyone know how one can be a contestant on Match Game Canada? I live in New Brunswick and would like to know where it is taped and how I can become a contestant on it.

Mike H.

• Guy says:

When I first saw this new Match Game I thought the host was Jason Sudakus.

• donna Dziemianko says:

how can I become a contestant in Canada. thanks

• GARY ROBERTS says:

I love this game show BUT it would be nice if the contestants were required to have a sense of humour(notice the Canadian spelling).Some of them(Lauren on the Aug.12 repeat episode) just do not know its supposed to be funny, not literal.Oh well,keep up the good work and lets sewe more Mochrie.

• Brian Mouland says:

Kick that talentless fat ass Cullen off the show he’s laaaaaaaaaaame!

• Ron Milne says:

I agree. His long-winded responses are not humorous, and he appears to be constantly playing to the camera(s). And his clumsy, goofy dancing at the end of the program is a real turn-off. It would be interesting to see a poll rating the favourite panel members.

• Josh says:

How about Paul Shaffer on Match Game?

He’s Canadian, I believe.

• rdlnk.co says:

Fastidious answers in return of this question wit real arguments and explaining all on the topic of that.