08Aug2012
“Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?” Theme to Be Honored at ASCAP/PRS Awards Thumbnail

“Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?” Theme to Be Honored at ASCAP/PRS Awards

Arguably the most recognized game show theme in the world, the theme to Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?, will be honored in October.  Matthrew Strachan, the composer of the iconic music, announced that the theme will be recognized at the ASCAP/PRS Awards this coming October.  In addition to this the classic Millionaire theme will be inducted into the ASCAP Hall of Fame during the ceremony.  Strachan composed the Millionaire theme with his father Keith in 1998.  The classic theme was used on the British version until 2007 when it was remade into a techo remix.  The American version used classic Millionaire theme, with updates for its Super Millionaire and clock format, until 2010 when the Super Mix format began.

Source : Matthew Strachan

9 responses to "“Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?” Theme to Be Honored at ASCAP/PRS Awards"

• Myke25 says:

I never understood why they stopped using the original theme. It became so iconic, so quickly.

• J.J. says:

I’d argue that Jeopardy!’s theme is a bit more recognizable, but still a very well deserved honor. It proved that modern styles of music can still be used to create a truly great theme.

• Zach says:

As wonderful as the theme was, the music had a huge role throughout the show as well. Who can forget the sting that started each round, the “letdown” music or most of all, the intense “heartbeat” score that made the top level an intense and dramatic experience! The whole music design for Millionaire contributed tremendously to its power.

Many game shows in today’s modern era lack great music and sound effects. That’s probably one of the reasons, among others, that explains why they don’t last as long.

I always liked the music and sound effects for the original Millionaire and Greed.

• I miss the old theme. I miss the old format. I miss the old chairs.

I miss having Regis as the host…

• K.C. says:

I miss Fastest Finger!

They COULD incorporate it into the new version… they could start the week with 12 people on the sidelines, and keep them all week. Once you’ve won and played for the million, you don’t get to play again. Taking this format a bit further.. highest non-million-dollar money winner each week gets entered into a million dollar tournament similar to the Tournament of Ten, to take place near the end of the season. I enjoyed the To10- it brought back the same sort of excitement that the $100,000 Pyramid’s tournament format created, and I’d love for something like it to be done again.

• thunderbird6 says:

I’m sorry, but I think the “Jeopardy!” theme music soundly beats out the theme to “Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?” for the title of “most recognizable game show theme music in the world. Or even “The Price Is Right.”