23May2012
Category
Casting, GSN, Pyramid
GSN’s “Pyramid” Revival Now Casting Thumbnail

GSN’s “Pyramid” Revival Now Casting

This is an early morning wake-up article that many of you will be happy to read.  GSN has begun casting for its revival of Pyramid.  The series, produced by Embassy Row, will be the first time the classic Pyramid format has been seen on the air for close to a decade.  Embassy Row has attempted to revive Pyramid for several years now, with multiple pilots for CBS Daytime and then TBS.  If you’re interested in being a part of the Los Angeles based show, click here to go to the Craigslist casting page and tell them BuzzerBlog sent you.  They just need your basic information and a picture.  The pilot will tape on June 11th and, if successful, the remaining 39 episodes begin taping July 24th.  A host has not yet been named or leaked.  Again, if you’re interested in being a part, click here, and please tell them BuzzerBlog sent you.  Who’s excited for this one?

42 responses to "GSN’s “Pyramid” Revival Now Casting"

• Myke25 says:

Put a dollar amount on it!

• SEAN says:

Cue the Bob Cobert theme!

• Dave says:

Just sent in my application. Here’s to hoping!

• Andy G. says:

Disappointed Pyramid will be LA based, but truly hope Embassy Row will keep their eye on the ball, and go with a Classic Pyramid format, and an excellent host. Otherwise, it’s probably destined for failure. After 72 Pilots (kidding) and no success… nothing would surprise me anymore. If only it was for a real network. The whole GSN thing gives me little confidence. Meh. Let’s hope ER will get it right, and hope for the best. GO PYRAMID !!!!!!

• MikeSant318 says:

PLEASE let it be Classic rules (7 in 30) instead of Osmond rules (6 in 20)…
      and 72 pilots? I don’t think that’s kidding at all…

• Matt says:

I wonder who will take on host of Pyramid to follow in the late Dick Clark?

• Jay Temple says:

The fact that there’s no dollar figure in the title worries me a little, but the fact that they they “We’re currently looking for … contestants who know how to play the game” is encouraging.

I wonder if it will be a $100,000 Pyramid, or just a $25,000 Pyramid…

And please GET A GOOD HOST. Not a comedian who tries to be funny, but isn’t.

• Michael says:

Indeed, we’ve seen enough of comedians. I mean, what are they trying to get Charlie Sheen? (I’m being sarcastic) I would go for Tom Bergeon as the host, because he has a good Dick Clark figure.

• Wayne says:

I have full confidence in GSN & ER’s ability, so I have no doubt they will screw it up entirely from host to set to gameplay.

• John says:

Maybe Larry Cedar, Reg E. Carthy, or any Square One TV star.

• MountainHawk says:

Four weeks–two episodes a day
    No returning champions
    No big money tournment of champions
    Bad and inconsistent judging
    Turnip-IQ D-list celebs
    Wannabe actor-contestants
    Host unfamiliar with game

• Phillip says:

I can’t wait for GSN to revive another game show favorite… which is exactly what I thought when it was revealed that they were reviving Lingo. Hopefully they will not screw it up like they do with a majority of the rest of their schedule.

• BG says:

If they go closer to the first CBS pilot from 2009 (wow, has it really been 3 years?!), then I think they could have a winner, just with a scaled-down budget. For a GSN show, going with the 80s rules and payout works just fine.

Although, if they were to pair it with the classic version, it would probably look weird to see two generations of “Pyramid”, 25-30 years apart, but offering literally the same grand prize payouts. ;-)

Seriously, though, despite the overblown million-dollar game shows of the last decade-and-a-third, I’d still take 10-25K.

• Travis says:

Put in my app at 7:30 this morning, got the call back at 2:30 this afternoon. Audition at 11 AM tomorrow. Mentioned BuzzerBlog in my callback and in the initial email. This should be interesting!

• arizonagal says:

travis-i would love to hear an update on your audition, and the audition process in general. were you auditioned for the pilot episode? please let us in on as much as you can. thanks.

• Bobby says:

If I’m Sony, I’d definitely talk to Kari or R. A. to participate as a panelist.

• Stephen says:

cue really random new rules. Making it dumbed down for the lowest common denominator.
    cue also recording 22 episodes and hashing them out so much that it’s not fun anymore.
    Oh.. and the host… pffft, won’t be Todd Newton – that would be smart.

It’ll be some annyoing ass like Mark L. Thompson.

• DeVares says:

If I was ER, I would get a host who can interact with the contestant. One name that comes to mind is Mark Walberg, who hasn’t hosted a game show since he got hosed by Fox from hosting Trivial Pursuit: America Plays. As for the gameplay: 6 in :30, fastest to the top qualifies for the tournament (assuming there will be one), and returning champions (seeing as this will be on GSN, I’m not holding my breath on that one).

• Andrew L. Budny says:

Actually DeVares, Mark did the pilot for Trivial Pursuit America Plays and was originally slated to host but FOX got him for Moment of Truth and we got stuck with Christopher Knight from The Brady Bunch as host.

I absolutely agree, Mark would be an excellent host, with the way he handled Russian Roulette, he would be a perfect fit for Pyramid.

• Steve says:

I am sick and tired of seeing phrases like this…..(PS: I know it’s not your fault, Alex)

“GSN has begun casting for its revival of Pyramid.”

First off, if I’m running my own game show, and someone told me they’ve done some “casting” for another game show, I wouldn’t hire them. You don’t “cast” a game show. You look for contestants, dammit!

• John says:

I just applied for Pyramid and am waiting for an answer back. I’m very curious of who would be the host for the new version of Pyramid.

Michael Berger (Match Game 2000-2001)?, Dylan Lane (Chain Reaction 2006-2007)?, Chuck Woolery (Wheel of Fortune, Love Connection, Scrabble (twice; 1985-90 & 1993-95), Lingo 2003-2009)?

Or is there another great person in mind for this illustrious job.

All I can say is that GSN should get a distinguished person to host the game. It doesn’t matter if the person is over 60 years old; as long as he/she can host it in a professional manner, with natural unforced comedy — that’s all I want. GSN needs to stop being biased with their decision to not hire older people to host game shows because they “skew too old” for the viewing audience.

• With Dick Clark and Bob Stewart now passed, it will be hard to avoid comparisons with the original. But you know what would be cool? Hopefully some of the folks from the past versions of the show who worked behind the scenes will return (or maybe their children will).

It will never happen, but I’d love to see the revivalists reach out to Markie Post and offer her some kind of consultancy role on the next generation of Pyramid!

• Steve says:

Not that I think it would happen, it would be nice. Of course, it wouldn’t be her first time in that type of role.

• Andrew L. Budny says:

I am so pumped for this, I am totally going to sign up to be a contestant ;)

• insaneben says:

“Pyramid Revival”

“…on GSN”.

Uh-oh.

I’m keeping my expectations low on this one- really, really low (and even then, I’ll probably still be disappointed).

If only CBS had picked up “The $1,000,000 Pyramid” instead of “Not The View” (The Talk), things wouldn’t have had to come to this… maybe…

• Mike B. says:

It’s not like everything GSN touched has been bad. I thought they did a good job with Lingo (Woolery), Russian Roulette, I’ve Got A Secret, That’s The Question, and although I know some will disagree with me here, I like The Newlywed Game (Wilson/Shepherd) and Baggage. Catch 21 and Whammy! also had their good qualities and were successful, even though both of them were too loud for me. I think it’s really more of a matter of who produces the show. Davies didn’t do so great with Chain Reaction (though it was a ratings hit so I guess he did something right), but Newlywed Game was better and based on the two previous pilots, it seems like he’s intent on not screwing up Pyramid.

• David says:

Wow, gotta love the confidence on the board in this show. :-D

I have my reservations on GSN and ER, but I’ll be a willing spectator to this. I doubt they’d want me as a contestant considering how I criticize them.

• rich cerasale says:

maybe the new host of the pyramid on gsn will be jd roth who hosted the classic kids game show fun house and co hosted sex wars with jennifer cole

• arizonagal says:

• Angelo Portal says:

Thay should paid tribute to the Late Dick Clark at the begnning of the show or at the end of the show.

• Joe says:

If this were ANY other network than GSN, I would have more confidence in this particular “Pyramid” revival, because although GSN’s had occasional hits (see “Chuck Woolery’s Lingo” and “Russian Roulette”), they more often than not mess things up, and Pyramid’s not a show you can run on a tight budget as they have a penchant for doing.

• BillCullen1 says:

Fingers crossed that this is a decent revival and that it gets the green light after the pilot. Let’s see if that happens before talking about the right host.

• Myke25 says:

Has there ever been a GSN original that had returning champions? The only show (that I remember) that had players carry over was Hollywood Showdown..and that was because they had the same pool of contestants play all week.

I wouldn’t expect (daily) returning champs on a GSN Pyramid. I would expect a format similar to Donnymid where you could win up to $25K, you just play one show then return for some sort of season-ending tournament for a bigger jackpot if you reach some watermark. Celebrities didn’t even carry over on Donnymid…except for special occasions like the Dick Clark appearances.

A season on GSN isn’t nearly as long as a season in syndication or on a broadcast network. Some of the $100K tournaments on Dick Clark’s version went longer than two weeks. I don’t see GSN letting that happen. They’re going to buy a set number of episodes. I wouldn’t expect a $100K guarantee on GSN, either. Players would likely return for a one-day shot at the jackpot and if it’s not won..it’s not won.

Of course, we won’t know for sure until they shoot the pilot and the leaks begin.

• Coupon Boy says:

Only the short running game show The Money List had returning champions. I think that Pryamid should follow the same tournament format as the 2002-2004 version did.

• The Banker's Nephew says:

I’ve been playing the DVD game released in 2006, and frankly, they should look at the set and music for that for a revival. Especially the music. The theme’s feels like a more epic version of the old one, and the music is so wonderfully dramatic. I know it won’t happen, and I know fans would rage over the fact that anything other than money was changed, but still.

• Sung says:

Just when I’d given up hope,… As long as the host doesn’t screw it up, I’d settle for a decent Pyramid at this point in whatever format. The one thing I’d like from the old show to stay is the “Here’s your first subject. Go!” with the darkness around the Winners’ Circle,and the ticking clock–doubt it will happen, but I thought that added to the environment.