22Feb2012
Anne Hegerty Versus Two for £50,000 on “The Chase” Thumbnail

Anne Hegerty Versus Two for £50,000 on “The Chase”

If you missed yesterday’s episode of The Chase, you missed one hell of an episode.  Two contestants made it to the Final Chase round, having beaten The Chaser in head-to-head trivia battles.  They managed to take £50,000 back home.  THey both face off against The Chaser, Anne Hegerty, to split the £50,000 and win £25,000 each.  The team has two minutes to answer as many questions as they can, and then The Chaser gets two minutes to do the same.  If the Chaser catches them, the team leaves with nothing.  However, if they win, they’ll both take home £25,000 which is the highest amount ever won per-contestant in the civilian series.  Can the team take down Anne and be the biggest civilian winners in the show’s history?

Check it out.  Very, very exciting round.

Video rights expired.

18 responses to "Anne Hegerty Versus Two for £50,000 on “The Chase”"

• Lucas says:

Isn’t that strange that the host reads the questions in a rapid-fire pace and says “Correct” quickly when asking The Chaser and reads questions considerably slower and ALWAYS hesitates when accepting answer while questioning the contestants? Seems like a clever way for the producers to minimize contestants’ chances… ;) Not to mention that whole lenghty “press the buzzer – BEEEP – autotuned woman voice saying contestant’s name” thing…

I mean I know nobody in television wants to give away any cash at all but that just for me ruins the show as the contenders are always handicapped by cleverly written rules.

• The Banker's Nephew says:

Well, that’s why they have the head start, plus the ability to push back the Chaser. By the time the Chaser catches the contestants, they’ll using have answered quite a few more questions than the contestants.

Also, from what I’ve seen, it seems to me that Bradley starts out at an average pace for both contestants and Chasers, and speeds up towards the end for both.

• Kevin M. says:

Personally I’d like to see the head start taken out, and instead give extra time based on how much money is in the pot. Maybe an extra second per 1000 pounds. I think that a better performance in the cashbuilder and more bravery at the table should be rewarded. We’ve seen too much “I want to get back home, I’ll stick/go low” the past two series because there’s not much incentive beyond the money. And when an early player brings in a high offer, the others are more inclined to leech off of you and take low offers. Also, with the current system, solo players have almost no chance of winning. With my system, solo players who were brave enough to bring home a high offer have a fair shot.

Of course, I think the win ratio is about right for a UK show as it stands, and they ought not to mess with the format. I think my idea would be better suited to a US version.

• QuartrGuy says:

If this show were to be picked up in the US, who do you guys think would make the best Chasers?

And before you say “Ken Jennings”…I’d actually like to see him HOST. Yes, I went there.

• Adam R. Wood says:

Oh, no… I want to host! Failing that, perhaps Brad Rutter actually; come to think of it, Mark L. Walhberg may be a really good fit [see Russian Roulette]. Honestly, though, Ken isn’t a bad choice at all, especially since he seems too… nice for a Chaser. It’s just that the viewing audience would expect him to be a Chaser. As for other Chasers… Ben Stein. That’s right, I went there. They would also be horribly amiss if they didn’t find some way of importing Mark Labett. The Beast is the soul of The Chase.

If I had production control over a U.S. version, what I’d really like to see is every Chaser on every episode – one for each challenger leading up to the final (I’m not sure what I’d do for the final yet). I’d also like to see the individual contestants winning (and keeping) SOMETHING if they win their solo round (say, a tenth of what they put in the bank) so that better contestants actually get better prizes (duh). (I also wouldn’t mind the occasional themed episode with specialty-guest Chasers, but I’d have to be careful not to turn the show into Beat the Geeks.) – ZM

• James E. Parten says:

I think that nearly everyone who reads This Here Blog would like to host a US version of ‘The Chase”. And why not? It’s a good quiz format, with generous doses of both fun and suspense. I have always believed that this show could appeal to the crowd that watches and loves “Jeopardy!”.

Quizzing is much bigger over in the U.K. than it is here. And all four Chasers over there have first class credentials in quizzing. Evan Paul Sinha, who is primarily a stand-up comedian, placed twentieth in a national quizzing competition (which led to his being hired for this gig.) Considering that even he has the second highest winning percentage (behind Anne Hegarty), one can only wonder how good the other nineteen quizzers were!

But the Chasers also have developed personalities as well as quiz brains. Britain has the tradition of “pantomime”, which is not the art associated with the late Marcel Marceau. The closest thing we have here Stateside is wrestling villains.

Yes, Ken Jennings would be too “nice” to be an effective Chaser. On the other hand, Ben Stein would be an excellent choice–right degree of knowledge and fitting and proper ‘tude for the job.

In finding Chasers, a delicate balance must be set between personality and quiz-smarts. IT might be tempting to draw upon bloviators from cable news, such as Bill O’Reilly or Sean Hannity (that shows you who I watch!), but if they don’t have the quiz chops for it, it will not matter.

Are American trivia champs such non-entities that they cannot be molded into Chasers? Interesting thought–but I don’t know you’d prove or disprove the thesis.

• tabstop says:

At least on this clip, if I counted correctly, the team were asked 27 questions and the chaser 30. (The team got 19 of theirs, plus four of Anne’s, for 23, while Anne got 23 of her own, so she lost by the head start.) It is true that Bradley speeds up as he goes, but I think he doesn’t quite reset the speedometer back to zero in between the team and the chaser. He does tend to take his cue from the players, I think — the faster you spit the answers out, the faster he goes. (I don’t have a way to quantify that, though.)

As for American players, I can think of quite a few quiz bowlers who would have the temperament and willingness to be a Chaser (cf Jason Keller from last season of J!). They might not be known very well to the public, but if they have those magic letters “PhD” behind their name that will get them some starting respect I think.

• James E. Parten says:

I suspect that the current Chasers were not “household words” in the U.K. before this show. In fact, I suspect that, a couple of years ago, if you’d given 100 Britons 100 seconds to name a stand-up comedian, the name “Paul Sinha” would have been on relatively few lips. (He might have even been a “Pointless answer”, for all I am aware!)

Does being able to put “Ph.D” after your name really generate respect, or disdain, from the majority of Americans? Consider what the unemployment rate among Ph.D’s must be! “If you’re so smart. . . “

• tabstop says:

I don’t usually put “PhD” behind my name, but the school I teach for always does, and it generates a certain mystique, even among the demographics you think it wouldn’t.

And if you want a game show example, look at the Spoilers from Double Dare (granted that’s getting on to 25 years ago now), or even all the talk about degrees and schooling on Who’s Still Standing.

• James E. Parten says:

Yes, but remember that on the CBS “Double Dare” (as opposed to the Nickelodeon show of the same title, which might have used some PhDs!), the brainiacs were presented as obstacles, if not villains.

One wonders if the “spoilers” of that Jack Narz-hosted show were otherwise employed, or whether they were enjoying an all-too-infrequent payday.

Actually, one of my colleagues in Brad Kay’s Syncopating Songboidz is referred to as “The Ph.D Pepperpot”, but I don’t know if shed be Chaser material.

• Steve says:

Jack Narz? As his brother might say…..you don’t say.

Psst…..it was the Jeopardy! guy. And the spoilers, to me, were the villains.

• James E. Parten says:

Getting back to the subject at hand. . . I showed this full episode to my friend Chuckles on Saturday night. As usual, he liked. He’d never seen an episode with this result before.

I have continued to tout this show (and others that are now available to viewers here Stateside), and look forward to finding that somebody has actually taken me up on it, and has fallen good and had for one of these shows.

• Kevin S. says:

Does anyone know the incentive for the Chaser to win?

• Lucas says:

Obviously the whole show is prepared for the contestants to lose and the producers, the crew and the Host, and, obviously, the Chaser must do what they possibly can to make the contestants fail – otherwise it would be a huge money burden for ITV. So the answer to your question is – the producers’ insistence.

• Michael says:

A name I would think would be a great chaser and a homage to his former game show would be Ben Stein. I loved the chase round and watching the chaser, I couldn’t help but to think of the final showdown from “Win Ben Stein’s Money”. But any real big quiz show champ would also be worthy of being a chaser.

• Ken in Hong Kong says:

Although I agree Ben Stein would be great as an American chaser, remember that he’s 67 now. He did a one-minute “chase” on his show, but can he do a two-minute final chase at his age? My choice for host would indeed be Mark L. Walberg, because he has good experience for the final chase (end game of “Russian Roulette”). Make Ken Jennings a chaser; that would be lots of fun for “bragging rights” purposes. Other chasers? Ohhh, I bet they’re out there somewhere. Import Mark “the Beast” Labbett? As much fun as he’d be, I don’t think it would be fair to ask him so many American pop culture questions. (Would he know, for example, who hosted “The Price Is Right” for 35 years?) If you imported Mark, you’d have to make sure his questions were less US-weighted. Yes, he’s given some US-connected questions now, but the producers of the UK “Chase” probably take a lot of care in choosing what US-connected questions they ask to either the contestants or the chasers.