11Mar2010
Category
ABC, New Show
ABC Orders “Trust” Pilot from Mark Burnett Thumbnail

ABC Orders “Trust” Pilot from Mark Burnett

Mark Burnett, the executive producer of the now-infamous Our Little Genius, is back at it with a new pilot just ordered by ABC.  ABC Entertainment News, from the Hollywood Reporter, says that the network has ordered a pilot for the game show Trust Me, I’m a Game Show Host from Burnett.  The slight twist is there are two hosts for the show, each talking about the same subject.  One will be saying truthful things and the other will be lying.  It’s up to the contestants, selected from the audience, to pick out which is true and which is false.  Burnett also did the great Shark Tank for ABC, which is awaiting renewal.

If I had to place money on it, I wouldn’t think we’d end up seeing this air.  Primetime game shows like to play it extremely safe and use the Millionaire cookie-cutter model.  This may venture out of the safety territory a bit too much and that seems to terrify networks these days.  Sounds like it could be interesting for a cable network, but it’s a bit too out-there for primetime.  But hey, I wouldn’t have figured people guessing if a Bingo ball number is even or odd would make it and somehow ABC ordered National Bingo Night.  I could be wrong.

I give Mark Burnett a lot of credit at least.  He does get a lot of original formats out there and that’s always nice to see.  It’s nice to see him come back nicely and so soon after the entire Our Little Genius fiasco which, in total honesty, he personally handled perfectly after he found out what was going on.

21 responses to "ABC Orders “Trust” Pilot from Mark Burnett"

• Jordan says:

The only way the show works is if there is a Comedy Duo latched onto this show, like Ant + Dec. Otherwise, you're just going to play 'favorites' with the hosts.

• Jordan says:

• Michael Hetrick says:

Not sure if this is the show or not, but comedian Bill Engval ("Blue Collar Comedy/Tour & "The Bill Engval Show") announced on his Facebook page that he signed a deal with ABC on Feb. 25th to host a game show.

• Craig says:

Since Mark Burnett is more associated with reality, this kinda puts him right "in his alley" so to speak. I mean, this ia kinda like those One-On-One segments from TTTT'90 where one person tells 2 stories & somebody has to pick which story's the real deal. Since there are 2 "hosts", the contestant decides whi's right & who's lying. I think Alex's right. This one seems way out there. We'll see how far this develops.

• Craig says:

• Steve Ungrey says:

This kind of reminds me of the 70s game Liars Club.

• Jay Temple says:

It sounds even more like The Better Sex. That is not a criticism, as I really liked that show.

• @palmercomm says:

But there are no comedy duos in the US that can compare with Ant and Dec.

I hope that doesn't mean we'll have another Rayburn/Bauman-esque pairing.

• @palmercomm says:

But there are no comedy duos in the US that can compare with Ant and Dec.

I hope that doesn't mean we'll have another Rayburn/Bauman-esque pairing.

• James E. Parten says:

Could this be what ABC hopes to pair with "Wipeout" come June? I cannot picture it holding "Wipeout"'s audience any better than "I Survived A Japanese Game Show" did–but I could be wrong!
    As for hosts, maybe Burnett will reach into local radio and fid some drive-time comedy team and hope to establish them on a national basis. That's the only way he is going to find a cross-talk comedy team in this day and age.

• James E. Parten says:

• James E. Parten says:

• Pete says:

What about Wayne brady and Johnathan Mangum? :-D

• Craig says:

Why would you pull those 2 away from CBS? This is an ABC show we're talking about here(though I understand the Whose Line Is It Anyway? connection here).

• Craig says:

• James D. says:

The U.S. isn't known for familar comedy teams like the UK or Japan. Unless the Alphabet recruits co-stars from a movie or TV show, or possibly a nationally-known radio team (think Kimmel and Carolla, or even Opie and Anthony), you'll have to start from scratch.

I also read that Bill Engvall saying that he'll host a game show for ABC. If it's this one, you'd have to pair him with a complete opposite — the "Blue Collar yokel" vs. the "White Collar stuffed shirt". For some reason, I could see actor/comic Larry Miller playing the yin to Engvall's yang.

• James D. says:

• SEAN says:

How about Scott Shannon from WPLJ & Michael Kay from WEPN/ New York Yankees broadcasts on YES.

• @palmercomm says:

Ryan Stiles and Colin Mochrie.

• King Erroneous says:

There is a radio duo Armstrong and Getty that I can imagine doing this, but I don't think they'd do it.

• King Erroneous says: