25Jun2009
Set Report from “The $1,000,000 Pyramid” Thumbnail

Set Report from “The $1,000,000 Pyramid”

CBS recently shot a pilot for their new daytime game show The $1,000,000 Pyramid, an update of the classic 80s game show The $100,000 Pyramid.  Again, like most news-worthy things, it happened while I was on vacation.  Many of you may already know about it but for those that don’t, you’ll be very happy to know the show was updated perfectly from the old version to today.”  Thanks to audience member Mitch J. for the info and pictures.  This entire pilot and potential show is just validating my point that Embassy Row is the only production company I place all my trust in to make a good, exciting, fun game show anymore.

The game is exactly like the old version.  Two teams of a contestant and a celebrity pick one of six categories.  Your celebrity partner has to try to describe up to seven items in that category to you in 30 seconds.  After three rounds of this, the most points goes to the Winner’s Circle.  There one member of the team must list things in a category.  Each correct guess from the other team member earns money, and going all the way to the top of the Pyramid earns the game’s top prize.  In the current version, the first win of the Pyramid earns $25,000 and the second time is $50,000.

Tim Vincent was the host for one of the days of pilot shooting .  He was also the pilot host of GSN’s old game show Chain Reaction and he recently guest hosted a week of Who Wants to be a Millionaire.  He’s not that bad but I’d be stunned if he went further than this.  The other host was actor Dean Cain who doesn’t seem to be doing much of anything recently.  I’ve got no personal opinion since I haven’t seen either, but Mitch said about Tim, “Did a capable job… relied on prompter a lot; chalk it up to being day one. His British accent caused a couple of pick-ups to be done, a couple in particular included when a category was Mamma Mia (he said Ma-Ma Mia, and the other with a description of a category being homophones (he would say Homo-phones and picked it up as ha-ma-phones).”

I’m pretty happy the core of the show stayed the same this time around.  The last Pyramid revival a few years back, done by Sony Pictures, had the production team do everything they humanly could to change the format in some way.  It never worked so they took it back to essentially the old format.  It’s nice to see there’s no messing around here and it goes straight for the old style.  There’s a “League of Champions” to play for the $1,000,000.  That wasn’t really touched upon.

As you can see by the set picture, they went with the old looking set updated a bit for modern times.  I’m sorry but I have to laugh a bit at some people who wet themselves over the fact they are using trilons, or those flip boxes, instead of monitors.  The trilons have to be cheaper to just slap on the one-time-only pilot than buying, mounting, and wiring about 15 monitors, which will be used for the long-run in the actual series.  It’s just simple economics and budgeting, as well as the pilot process.  Just another case of, “It’s 2009, welcome to new technology!”  Just expect the current trilons on the set to convert to monitors by the time the series pulls around.  Go cheap for now and plan for the long-run later.

Everything seems fantastic about this.  From what I’m hearing from insiders, I wouldn’t be shocked to see The $1,000,000 Pyramid be picked up for a daytime run, but stay tuned to news.  The show would have to debut in a few months when CBS’s Guiding Light burns out, so the Pyramid may be back on television once again very shortly.

139 responses to "Set Report from “The $1,000,000 Pyramid”"

• Myke25 says:

Carrie over at About.com said:
    "I’ve heard the same thing. And they’ve been reaching out to confirm media contact details, so hopefully that’s a good sign."

But it wouldn't be the first time a network has done some misdirection. It's so hard to keep secrets these days!

• Myke25 says:

wow. Sounds like you guys clearly have issues. I don't mean to get caught in the middle of a feud. Some of us have been wondering when and if CBS was going to announce something. Just passing along information. I guess we'll find out Wednesday just how accurate that information is.

In my dealings with the "Perfesser guy" over the years, I have known him to be nothing but a gentleman and a true student of the genre. He is considered an expert by many…including GSN, based on the number of their documentaries in which he's been interviewed. And since his background is in old-school broadcast news, as is mine, I see no reason to doubt him at face value. He knows how to track down a story and I've known him to be right more often than wrong. Your experience with him appears to have been different.

Since the end of tvgameshows.net, BuzzerBlog has become my primary source of game show news. You guys do a great job here and I enjoy taking part in the banter. Mostly, posters here can argue and debate without making personal attacks. I don't believe anyone here was called names for preferring trilons over monitors, for instance. We're a pretty civil bunch here. That, as we've seen in the past month or so, can't be said about all game show sites.

I never doubted that Alex would let us know about any pick-ups. BuzzerBlog a great source of information…but it's not the only source. To imply that you are the lone beacon of truth in the game show universe is a bit arrogant.

• Chris says:

Would that be the music from the 1970's or 1980's version?

• Dontryl Alexander says:

I've heard that they delayed the announcement till August 3rd.

• Craig says:

Well, at least Steve Beverly was wrong about the date anyways. Let's see what happens next Monday. Thanks for the heads-up.

• Chris says:

We don't know if it's trilons or monitors, most likely it's monitors.

• Dontryl Alexander says:

All I predict it's going to be trilons.

• Chris says:

The Trilon Monitor Debate is foolishness just like bobhagh said do the monitors with trilon animation to revive the classic warmth and love to the show with a better but still the same quality and format.

• Dontryl Alexander says:

Three days away until the announcement next week (August 3rd). Wonder how are we going to react when we hear that Pyramid, LMAD, or Dating be on the schedule.

• Craig says:

I'd be estatic for Pyramid & LMAD, not so much for Dating Game. Just my $.02, my friend.

• Ben says:

Well, the trilons vs. monitors debate has been resolved. The answer is: neither!

• Dontryl Alexander says:

Not only I’m disappointed, I’m mad and hurt that Pyramid won’t be on the schedule. I predict that LMAD won’t last for a full season, then there bring Pyramid back to replace it.

• Dontryl Alexander says:

New Update: Since CBS has decided that it will be a new one-hour version of Let's Make A Deal starring Wayne Brady as the host, and not this time around the new updated edition of Pyramid, that will be on its daytime schedule starting Monday, October 5, 2009. The new Deal will be the one that replaces the long-running soap opera Guiding Light, whose last telecast is on Friday, September 18, 2009. Pyramid could still appear on CBS as a back-up replacement for the network, or if after a year it might be shopped around to a different network, syndication or perhaps cable.

• Myke25 says:

I'll repeat what I said on a different thread.
    Pyramid fans, don't get too discouraged. And don't take out your anger on LMAD. We need to support LMAD. If it bombs, CBS may well turn the time back over to affiliates and not try another game show. For Pyramid, or any other game show, to have a decent shot at landing on a network schedule, LMAD has to succeed. If LMAD is a hit, other networks may follow suit and Pyramid would, I think, have a good chance at getting on the air.

LMAD, even at an hour, is probably a far less expensive show to produce than Pyramid. Let’s remember that cancelling GL was a money-saving move from the beginning.

LMAD will be more compatible with TPIR, though I agree with some of you that two hours of nearly identically-formatted shows (with the same exec. producer) may get real old, real fast. Having Drew and Wayne together on CBS will make for some fun cross-promotional opportunities. It might end up being a big plus for TPIR after a season that started off real shaky, but seemed to find its legs toward the end of the year.

• Myke25 says:

NBC has cut Days of Our Lives' budget dramatically of late…if LMAD can prove that a game show can be viable again, they'd likely pull the plug on Days and start shopping.

And according to the NY Times, CBS may still cancel As The World Turns. That opens up another hour.

This isn't over.

• Miles Morris says:

From what I heard the pilots were shot at the Kaufman Astoria Studios in New York, home of Sesame Street and The Cosby Show. The 1st pilot was hosted by Access Hollywood's Tim Vincent and as you heard, Dean Cain. The same Dean Cain from Lois and Clark and host of Ripley's Believe it or Not.

The celebrity guests were comedienne Susie Essman and actor Jesse Metcalfe in the 1st pilot and actress Kathy Najimy and Jeopardy! champ Ken Jennings in the 2nd.

I don't really care if they use trilons or monitors. It's good that it might come back.

By the way guys, CBS said that they will bring back Let's Make a Deal as an hour long series with Wayne Brady as host and I'm sure he'll do a great job. Hate to rain on y'all's parade sayin' that. But Pyramid may be revived in syndication in 2010. So there's still hope. Sorry, guys hate to spoil your happiness. God bless.

• Dontryl Alexander says:

You better be right, Hope and pray Pyramid will revived in 2010 on CBS or Syndication.