25Oct2008

Weekend Replay: Richie Bell Loses Fortune on “Deal or No Deal”

I usually like to refrain from calling Deal or No Deal contestants psychotic or crazy or just plain idiotic.  The show’s all about gambling to begin with.  A semi-crazy gamble could make you pretty smart and leave you with a million.  However, when you lose $600,000; it’s being idiotic.  Contestant Richie Bell, on Wednesday’s primetime episode, was down to three cases: $1, $1,000,000; and $1,000,000 (it’s the Million Dollar Mission again).  His offer was over $600,000; which he rejected.  One of the million dollar cases is left, and his final offer between a million and a buck was over $400,000.  He rejected that as well and took home $1 plus a bit of bonus money from earlier.  But in terms of the game, $1.  Absolutely the dumbest move I have ever seen on the show.  Take a look.

As a side note, is there some reason this show’s not in HD? It’s practically made for it yet they haven’t taken the leap. Come on.

21 responses to "Weekend Replay: Richie Bell Loses Fortune on “Deal or No Deal”"

• Don H. says:

Wow. The things I’ve missed on Wednesday…

While I don’t really blame him for continuing on with 2 $1,000,000 cases left, he really should have taken the $400,000+ deal when it was down to 1 $1,000,000 case left. I think that should have been a no-brainer decision!

And yeah, I also find it weird that primetime DoND still isn’t in HD. :/

• Ok, that was a horrific play right there.

No safety net of any kind and that big of a dropoff = Take the Deal.

He decided to gamble but lost a small fortune. I would normally feel sorry, but he played it poorly and it’s all on him. The people that run this show are uncorking the champagne from all the money they saved.

• Measles! says:

Serves him right. If you’re not smart enough to take the sure thing in the face of the odds, then you’re a friggin’ moron and deserve to lose.

Enjoy your buck, buddy. Not even enough to get a can of Coke. Are there not any SMART people they can get to play this game?

• Mad Mark says:

Two words: EPIC FAIL.

What a complete and total retard. That’s what I hate about this show – they get the world’s stupidest contestants who make total asses of themselves, thanks to their lack of judgement and their stupid decisions. When they’ll get some contestants whose IQ is more than 6 is beyond me. If it were up to me, this cavalcade of crap would have never aired, and the tape would have been immediately fed to an incinerator. I fail to understand how such stupidity belongs on television. Call me when they get some contestants who actually know what they’re doing, know how to read the board, and know when to fold and take the damn offer.

• STI says:

What I found truly EPIC FAIL was that not only was he an idiot, but it seems that everyone around him was an idiot, too.

In his situation, I *might* have done exactly the same thing at $600K–odds are, revealing one of the $1M cases would drop him down to $400K or so, so you’ve got a mathematical expectation of essentially zero (2/3 chance of -$200K v. 1/3 chance at $400K).

But to then risk a sure $400K for a 50:50 shot at $1M or $1? No way.

• Ben says:

I find it hypocritical that we celebrate the Aussie DOND guy who was left to $200K and $5 and went for it, and yet you chastise this guy for basically the same thing. It was unfortunate, but it wasn’t any dumber. It wouldn’t surprise me if he had won that many of the same critics would applaud him for his courage.

• David Howell says:

Precisely.

I personally feel inclined to criticise both decisions immensely (and Dean’s was even dumber as it was above the mean, this one wasn’t) but Dean got away with it. Thankfully (in my opinion) this guy didn’t. I’d have gone at the three-case offer (probably before, to be honest, but definitely then) out of fear the offer on this 50:50 showdown would be down in the sub-350k territory it’s been in once before.

Risk-taking is one thing. This – especially in the face of economic crisis – is on another level.

• MillRL says:

Having watch some of the show last Friday (being nothing else good on) I add to add something that wasn’t shown with this clip. The contestant has won a guarrenteed $10,000 by completing a Banker challenge earlier in the show. Knowing that he had this amount no matter what, I think that may have made him more likely to go on.

Guarenteed money or not, I have to agree with Ben’s comments. It is this decision to gamble that make memorable moments for this show, either if it leads to the greatest win or, in this case, a big mistake. Not that I don’t like to see the result we had, but give the man some courage for going on. As long as he is content with what he did, let’s respect it.

By the way, NBC would like you to watch next Wednesday’s show…if you got their hint during the credits.

• devares says:

Actually, Measles, he won $10,001 because he competed in the banker’s challenge. But, subject at hand, if that was me, I would be like almost everyone else on here, I would’ve took the deal even though the million was still there (but that’s just me). And, FFT, MillRL, that’s every Friday night because networks are thinking that most people are out of the house. And I think I know (like most of you probably do) what will happen Wednesday, but, being the nice guy that I am, I won’t give it away just in case it doesn’t happen (darn you, NBC).

• devares says:

Why this show’s not in HD is a mystery to me as well. Feburary 17 isn’t too far away, NBC.

• Michael says:

I would’ve taken the deal, but there would been at least a 50:50 shot that the million would be in the case or not. To win $1 is a bummer, but yeah I would’ve taken the deal. I saw the preview during the credits after Friday’s Deal or No Deal *sighs* I guess NBC didn’t get the hint.

• Measles! says:

Didn’t see the Banker’s Challenge Devares…thanks for pointing it out :)

He should lose that 10k for showing how stupid most of America really is. Like I said, once execs stop looking for brainless caffeine-filled contestants to play their games, they might experience a ratings kick. Until then, there will be nothing but the most epic of failure.

• dropzone5 says:

I simply see it as a gamble gone horribly wrong, like Ben. I can see why he chose to go on when he had two MDCs still in play, but I wouldn’t want to go for the million when there’s that big of a disparity between the two values left on the board.

Of course, there are some people out there (like this guy) that just take bigger risks than some people do. I think there are only two words to accurately describe what happened: PURE GREED. He wasn’t stupid, per se, just really, really greedy.

• Scott Meckley says:

well I would have been very smart to play Deal Or No Deal. I do love to help people and sometimes i just don’t like to talk about myself much. I would have definity took the deal on $416,000. I would have stopped when i had no safety net left because I would rather take a guarantee. Why i would take a guarantee because more than likely if i have more smaller numbers then more than likely a small number would be in my case. I would rock on Deal or No Deal and I could help others and myself.

• andrew b says:

But in this situation, Scott, you don’t have more smaller than larger.

I believe that since Ritchie just played it like a game and is happy with his result, he should be allowed through.

Ritchie chose his case based on the sum of two family members’ birthdays that were important to him, and you don’t know what that means to him. In addition, you’re right about Dean Cartechini, and Edna Amarille from KDonD had exactly the same reason for going on as this guy did. And her board was significantly riskier!

However, Ritchie ran afoul of a greater total of sums than the one with his case.

The digits in his final three offers add up to the final three cases he should have chosen (!)

410,000 = case 5.
    603,000 = case 9.
    416,000 = case 11.

But no, he chose case 15 instead, and ended up being a dollar menunaire. :(

• Eric says:

This ranks as one of the biggest choke jobs since that certain subway hero almost two seasons ago. Ben Silverman should be hung out to dry for not cancelling DOND already. Instead DOND is resuming taping and don’t be surprised if the primetime episodes have more choke jobs.

• jason says:

dude, what’s up with his sister saying “if you believe in these people you’ll go no deal”…”if you don’t believe in them you’ll take the deal”. she was so convinced that there was a special meaning behind those numbers….c’mon moron.

• Jhun says:

I don’t know why in the first place this guy is not taken the deal. I believe he just listened more to his sister and brother who are greedy and not listening to her mother. I just hope and pray he will be okay after declining a good amount fortune.

• The problem was the delusional ravings of his siblings — I’ve never heard worse advice (or sillier justifications for that advice) than the stuff they were spewing.

To me, it was obvious — go for it at $600,000+, when the odds were in his favor and he was assured of winning a huge amount of money, no matter what, and then, when that doesn’t work out, take the $400,000+ and run! They discussed the family’s financial situation several times throughout the show, and it was clear that the nearly half-a-million bucks would have been a huge amount of money for them (as it would for most of us).

I can’t help but wonder how things went for that family after that night. Did they experience resentment and finger-pointing? Were their relationships strained going forward? I sincerely hope not, but sheesh, did those siblings give some bad advice.

• Toby says:

I just watched this episode and have to say, I wanted to slap his moron brother and sister.

• Jess says:

i just watched that episode!!!! Makes me so mad. Did you hear his families rationalization for him to keep going?? Idiots. They’re all living off him thats why they were pudhing for more. How do you get that greedy!?!?!